AT120E vs AT130E Needle

JDN1

I have an AT120E cartridge and it's getting time for a new stylus. I really like the 120E needle but am thinking of trying a 130E just for a slightly different flavor. i already have a 140LC needle I swap out in the same cartridge regularly. I was just going to buy another 120E, if it works don't fix it kind of thing, but the 130E is about the same price. What are the sonic differences I can expect.

From my experience the 120E has a nice balanced sound but the 130E adds more detail and clarity on the top end.

Dave/ChairSpud

130e styli are pretty rare. The 130E has a nude stylus and I believe the stylus is a bit thinner. My AT130 cartridge has a very nice extended top for a MM cartridge. I think this is kind of a house wound with AT's better MMs. It's a little much for me. I prefer a warmer sound with rich mids. I have found that the AT130 matches nicely to older speakers with rolled off paper cone tweeters. I like it with my KLH 6 speakers too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys. I'd actually prefer something with more low end girth so the 130E probably isn't right for me. Maybe I'll just get another 120E. I already have the 140LC also which is a little brighter in the high end.

AT-120E = Nude mounted .3x.7 elliptical
AT-130E = Nude mounted .2x.7 elliptical

The AT-440MLa (microline) stylus will fit a AT-120E

AT-130E = Nude mounted .2x.7 elliptical

The AT-440MLa (microline) stylus will fit a AT-120E

Thanks but I tried that as my first upgrade before the AT-140LC. I didn't care for the AT-440MLa at all. I think the AT-140LC is my fav so far in that cartridge, although some records sound better with 120E. I'm leaning towards going with what I know but am definitely open to other suggestions.

AT-130E = Nude mounted .2x.7 elliptical (...)

Actual difference is larger than that, though. Because the ATN130E/132EP not only already sports the tapered instead of the straight alu cantilever variant - but it's also got a much nicer diamond with rectangular instead of round shank and a very well polished, true elliptical tip, while the tip of the ATN120E/122EP still is closer to being "pseudo-elliptical". Or in other words: Under the loupe the stone of the ATN130E/132EP looks more like high quality FineLine than a standard quality elliptical.

JDN: I'd suggest to try the ATN130E/132EP and gather your own impressions. Not only, 'cause I'd expect you to enjoy its sound, but also for the practical reason that the ATN130E/132EPs aren't made anymore, while the ATN120E is still is a current product and won't disappear anytime soon. So I'd deem it smarter to try the ATN130E/132EP, while that's still quite easily possible...

Well, and as for the sound: To my ears the ATN130E/132EP does better than the ATN120E/122EP in practically every aspect. That also includes more detail, but presented in a smooth rather than an "in your face" way - like a gentleman with more refined manners, but presented with ease in a natural, relaxed way, without leaving an artificial impression.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Actual difference is larger than that, though. Because the ATN130E/132EP not only already sports the tapered instead of the straight alu cantilever variant - but it's also got a much nicer diamond with rectangular instead of round shank and a very well polished, true elliptical tip, while the tip of the ATN120E/122EP still is closer to being "pseudo-elliptical". Or in other words: Under the loupe the stone of the ATN130E/132EP looks more like high quality FineLine than a standard quality elliptical.

JDN: I'd suggest to try the ATN130E/132EP and gather your own impressions. Not only, 'cause I'd expect you to enjoy its sound, but also for the practical reason that the ATN130E/132EPs aren't made anymore, while the ATN120E is still is a current product and won't disappear anytime soon. So I'd deem it smarter to try the ATN130E/132EP, while that's still quite easily possible...

Well, and as for the sound: To my ears the ATN130E/132EP does better than the ATN120E/122EP in practically every aspect. That also includes more detail, but presented in a smooth rather than an "in your face" way - like a gentleman with more refined manners, but presented with ease in a natural, relaxed way, without leaving an artificial impression.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
This is great info thanks. Have you ever heard the ATN140LC? How does the ATN130E compare sonically to that? It kind of reminds me of your description. To Me it's similar to the ATN120E but everything is clearer and the separation is better.

I agree with lini´s description of the 120 versus the 130. These AT´s styli with square shank nude diamonds, like ATS13, ATN13, ATN15xE and ATN130 are very, very good IMO.
gusten

Last edited:
I agree with lini´s desciption of the 120 versus the 130. These AT´s styli with square shank nude diamonds, like ATS13, ATN13, ATN15xE and ATN130 are very, very good IMO.
gusten

any idea how it compares to the ATN140LC? I have that and the ATN120E to use as comparisons.

any idea how it compares to the ATN140LC? I have that and the ATN120E to use as comparisons.

No I don´t have that stylus, I have the ATS14, ATN14 and ATN15. These are also very good, just a tiny bit more sensitive to VTA IMO.
I find the ATN130 has a bit better resolution, just a bit.
gusten

The ATN140LC is a nude sq shank LC on a tapered alum cantilever.

Higher cu than most, max VTF is 1.6g

Sound is similar to ATN440ML OCC
neo

I think the 130E is a great in-between stylus. The 140LC is also very nice, but the 130E is slightly more mellow sounding. By the time you are at the 140/440 you can get a bit of an edge to some tracks ...

But take that from a guy who never really cared for the 120E. Just too bland for me - big yawn in my books.

Last year, after a mishap with my AT120E, I decided to experiment and ordered the bonded eliptical AT100 stylus. I immediately heard a difference between the two. The 100 is slightly veiled on the top end. Not as revealing as one might say. I wonder what other stylis will fit the 120 body. I know the AT440 will...what others are there?

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

For medium to high mass tonearms, the ATN-7V might also be worth considering. Similar stylus/cantilever configuration to the 130E and readily available: http://www.lpgear.com/product/ATSAT0007V.html

I'm hoping one of the favorites for Fremer's shootout turns out to be the AT-7V (resurrected Signet TK7Ea).

Jack

Sorry, Jack, but the AT7V is no resurrected TK7Ea, as the latter had a better needle on level with the ATN150E, while the ATN7V would be more similar to the needle of the TK5Ea.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I think the 130E is a great in-between stylus. The 140LC is also very nice, but the 130E is slightly more mellow sounding. By the time you are at the 140/440 you can get a bit of an edge to some tracks ...

But take that from a guy who never really cared for the 120E. Just too bland for me - big yawn in my books.

Thanks for the info, nice to hear an opinion on someone who's compared the cartridges I have with what I'm looking for. I think I'll give the 130E a try. If I don't like it I can always get another 120E.

Just out of curiosity, where can you find a stylus for the 130E?

Looks like they aren't still available like I thought, I thought some new old stock was still out there. Any other suggestions? maybe i'll just replace the 120E. Although I like the 140LC better(and still have it) I do agree with the other poster that it can be a bit bright on some records so need a replacement for my 120E which I quite like. I guess if it works don't fix it.

Sorry, Jack, but the AT7V is no resurrected TK7Ea, as the latter had a better needle on level with the ATN150E, while the ATN7V would be more similar to the needle of the TK5Ea.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

To clarify my point(s) - the stylus assembly being the main point - the tapered cantilever/square shank nude elliptical stylus assembly on the AT7V corresponds to the ATN-130E which appears to be no longer available. The ATN-125LC would be another alternative to consider for upgrading an AT-120E.

It's the AT7V body that appears to be a resurrected TK7Ea (or TK7LCa) body with the stylus assembly chosen to keep the costs down and with a lower compliance that would be more compatible with modern tonarms.

Also - there are probably no hand wound coils as found in the Signet but with a stylus assembly such as an ATN-155LC, an AT7V body should at least outperform the TK7Ea and come close to the TK7LCa.

Without an actual TK7Ea or TK7LCa to play with, I can't confirm this for myself but I do know that an AT7V/ATN-155LC combination sounds pretty damn good to me - as good as an AT-155LC though less romantic sounding (more MC-like) than either the TK7E or the TK7SU.

Jack, preparing to stand corrected

Back
Top Bottom