AT216EP

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by srs735, Mar 16, 2017.

1. srs735

srs735 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Last year I saw one of these for sale on an auction site. I had a Technics SL-5 sitting idle looking for a new cartridge. I didn't see a lot of information about the AT216EP online. What I did see was positive and some NOS stylus were available, so what the heck. It seems that there are 2 different stylus available, an AT211 and the AT216

Has anyone else here had experience with this cartridge?

Currently I have the SL-5 with the AT216EP hooked up to an Arcam Delta 290 driving a pair of Kef C-80's. This combination is very sweet. I tend to listen to classic rock, some jazz and the blues. Everything sounds very natural (neutral), nice cymbals, drums, slide guitar, vocals sound rich. I've compared this to a Mitsubishi LT-22 with a Benz Micro L2 and a Denon DP-60L with a Transfiguration Axia. No, the AT doesn't sound better than those, but in my opinion it gives the Benz a run for the money. If this sounds this nice on the bottom of the rung SL-5 I wonder how nice it might sound on one of the nicer P-mount tables

Currently I'm listening to Mighty Sam McClain GIVE IT UP TO LOVE and it shines :music:

cratz2 likes this.
  2. wualta

wualta < Spike Milligan, 1961

specs a.jpg specs b.jpg
    Specs might help put your 216EP into the big picture. These are somewhat mysterious cartridges-- ostensibly A-T's second-generation p-mounts, they stuck around for a very short time, quickly replaced (due to cost? dunno) by the generation represented by the current AT92E. I'd love to see a brochure that talks about them, but so far I've been unsuccessful. However, there are a few of us here on AK who own one or more of these cartridges.

boreas likes this.
  3. boreas

boreas Lunatic Member

Those are pretty rare and pretty good. What you really want is the Aviform Edition, the AT-E32P.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    wualta likes this.
  4. marcmorin

marcmorin AK Subscriber Subscriber

nice album to demo with

cratz2 and srs735 like this.
  5. needlestein

needlestein Addicted Member

I was mightily impressed a year and a half ago when I came across one NOS on ebay, which I snapped up for less than $50 because I saw "linear contact." Like you, I knew nothing about these carts and even now, I don't know much more. What I do know pretty much comes from Wualta, the guy who studies cartridges like there's going to be a pop quiz after recess.

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/game-changer-audio-technica-at231lp.685419/

The cartridge sounds absolutely top tier in every way. I also picked up some of the other styli for them and even a generic and all of them are fabulous. But you might want to check out the 231 or even the 221 stylus. Just amazing. They might give your other carts even more of a run for the money.

If I were to speculate as to why they were discontinued: They are strange looking and, not to be cynical but they almost sound too good to be true. Perhaps they weren't cost effective to produce and market during the "Death of the LP" dark period of vinyl that began in the early to mid 1980s. The replacement cartridges that appeared on the market when these were phased out are nice, for sure. But in my opinion, they represent a step down.

6. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Active Member

I have one of these sitting around. It came on a technics sl-q200 I picked up. I'm pretty sure it's worn out, sounds distorted in the highs. I did look at it under a microscope, fully nude stylus.

7. wualta

There was also a non-penguiform standard mount version, the AT-E30, which appears to have been Japan-only:

specsCapture-E.jpg

8. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Active Member

The replacement stylus for these are priced ridiculously. Anyone know a source for generic replacements?

9. wualta

Ah feel your pain. Gary at thevoiceofmusic.com sells an EVG 4215-DE for reasonable money, and I'm sure there are others out there.

bigx5murf likes this.
  10. needlestein

needlestein Addicted Member

They show up on eBay regularly and usually sell for peanuts. This whole series seems to be very under the radar on the auction site.

11. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Active Member

The only one I see show up regularly is the conical. I've seen generic ellipticals show up twice in the past year, and lost the auction by 50 cents both times.

I'm going to place an order for the EVG 4215-DE mentioned though, and report back on it.

12. srs735

I can't find any info about this strange bird anywhere

:idea:

Anything that looks like that should be able to sing.

13. srs735

I've purchased the 216 stylus from LP Gear.

14. boreas

boreas Lunatic Member

Electrically it's the same as your AT216EP. It has an elliptical stylus, maybe the same as yours.

John

15. bigx5murf

bigx5murf Active Member

I think I know the one you're talking about. But I'd rather pickup 4x AT92E for the price of that one.

16. srs735

Yes you could. It's been a few years since I ran a AT 92ECD, but I don't remember being blown away by the detail and soundstage. I'd rather pay for the biradial and extract as much out of the groove as possible.
    :idea:
    Maybe I need to try an AT 92ECD again

17. srs735

are the stylus interchangeable?

This looks like the ATN-201P listed on turntableneedles

18. boreas

boreas Lunatic Member

Yup!

John

19. srs735

Thank you sir. I just ordered one from pickupnaalden and will report my findings when I get it. I also ordered an AT92ECD just to be able to compare them all :)

20. markshan

markshan Sir Thrift a Lot Subscriber

So the 211 will work interchangeably with the 216? I've been looking for an inexpensive stylus for a thrift store table with that cart.