AT95E Tip Size?/"E" vs "EX"

Trekkie4

Retired Member
For quite some time now I've been seeing conflicting information regarding this issue... Some audiophiles swear how AT95 is 0.4x0.7 model, where on the other hand, the OFFICIAL Audio Technica website (along with other webstores & sites) clearly says it's 0.3x0.7.
AT95E-500x500.jpg

To make things even more confusing, Audio Technica introduced the "upgrade" stylus called AT95 EX, which originally came with their top of the line USB turntable, LP5. According to specs, these two are more-less identical, yet people all over the world claim how "EX" sounds so much better than "E"
AT95EX-500x500.jpg

So, with that being said, my question is obvious - which one of these statements is true? "95E" can either be 0.4 or 0.3, and how exactly does it compare against "95EX" which is also 0.3 & uses the came "AT95" cart...?

It's always been my understanding that the ATN95E was a 0.4 x 0.7 mil. That AT is now offering an upgrade stylus which is described as 0.3 x 0.7 mil would seem to support that. I suppose it's possible, even likely, that the AT web site is wrong. They're human after all.

John

Both EU & US domains, websites? Hmm... After all, AT is not the only website to feature this information - there's quite a lot of websites & online resources claiming it's "0.3", not "0.4".

Edit
From their official website, PDF document

(Note #4 The abbreviation mil is equal to a thousandth of an inch - mil = 0,001 inch = 0,0254 mm = 25,4 mm)

Last edited:
Thanks! That would be my guess as well, yeah. The only answer that would make sense, with all the info taken into consideration.

Thanks! That would be my guess as well, yeah. The only answer that would make sense, with all the info taken into consideration.

Except it doesn't explain the reason behind introducing a second cartridge (The EX) with essentially identical specs to the AT95E. There's no obvious reason for both to exist unless the ATN95E is indeed still a 0.4 x 0.7 mil.

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/cartridges/983ae543f8dbeaf5/index.html

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/cartridges/7bb1a6fe0f7e1899/index.html

John

Agreed, the identical specs are puzzling, but there may be an error elsewhere: in the compliance figures. Did some digging and found that discussion I couldn't quite recall before, on the Linn forum (where the AT95E enjoys a cult following).

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=38931&page=3 Post #26 and on.

Me, I'd almost pay the extra $10 or so for the EX, just to avoid that hideous green color. Some things look good in pistachio but cartridges aren't one of them.

https://flic.kr/p/6aeBcL

I don't hate the green that much. I'm not really a huge fan of the whorehouse red on a cartridge either, to be honest. But as long as it's not pepto-pink or mauve or some other really hideous color, I'm good.:D

The Linn folks seem to be saying that the only difference is in the compliance of the two styli and infer that from the color of the bushing being different between the two. That's a pretty thin reed, especially since, though the compliance isn't listed for the two, the tracking force is. Tracking force is closely related to - a function of - compliance and the tracking force recommendations for the two styli are identical.

John

I don't think AT95EX is officially available as cartridge only? It also says on that pamflet thing that it comes preinstalled in a turntable. Also I'm 100% sure AT95E used to be .4x.7, but even their Japanese website lists it as .3x7 now so I believe they changed it at some point fairly recently.

I don't think you can buy the actual "EX" cartridge here in Croatia, but they do sell genuine ATN95 EX replacements, so you could "upgrade" AT95E to 95EX. But yes, see? This is EXACTLY why I started this topic to begin with. Which also brings another issue... My AT95 came pre-installed on AT-LP120, so how can I know (without looking under microscope) which one they've used... Is there a model or serial number somewhere on either the cart alone or stylus itself?

The AT95EX became available on the AT US site in the last several months. Before that, the "ES" .3X.7 stylus could be found on multiple sites, and Thakker and others sold the AT95EX European cartridge model on the auction site. AT has apparently upped their AT95e game by selling it with an OEM .3X.7 elliptical, although the cartridge has become more expensive in the last year to go along with that improvement. I would guess that the AT95EX model will disappear as the new standard .3X.7 OEM "green" model makes its way into the market, since they are (as fas as I can tell) the very same cartridge with different color stylus housings.

Could be... AT made it very clear that "EX" was designed primarily (and exclusively) for LP5 tables, and that it's not available for retail sale. Which is (once again) conflicting information, since you can find a genuine (therefore not a replacement) "EX" styli just about everywhere you look.

The only remaining mystery behind "EX" is the sound quality - ppl swear EX sounds twice as better to 95E, so it makes me wonder if that's related to tip size & older gens of 95E (vs the newer ones, 0.3x0.7) since neither of us here can see any other obvious advantages over 95E other than the color *shrug*

I've been using .3X.7 ellipticals in AT95E carts for more than a year now. The .3X.7 sounds better to my ears, definitely worth the ~$30 it cost to buy it. There is also a carbon fiber cantilevered .3X.7 available which sounds a little darker, more solid than the normal stylus. As far as the one that came on your ATLP120, it is almost certain to be a .4X.7 elliptical.

Another possibility is that the AT95E is scheduled to disappear, being replaced by the AT95EX, both for complete cartridges and for replacement styli. AT is pushing the ATN95EX as an "upgrade" for the AT95E Even though they appear to be virtually identical. In doing so they can attempt to justify a higher retail price ($59 vs. $49 on the US site) and move away from the deeply discounted AT95E.

John

I've been using .3X.7 ellipticals in AT95E carts for more than a year now. The .3X.7 sounds better to my ears, definitely worth the ~$30 it cost to buy it. There is also a carbon fiber cantilevered .3X.7 available which sounds a little darker, more solid than the normal stylus. As far as the one that came on your ATLP120, it is almost certain to be a .4X.7 elliptical.
Now I'm seriously tempted to invest into AT95 EX ... now that's a good marketing campaign. Good job AT! :biggrin:

Also, take a look at this... One of the customer feedbacks regarding 95EX, on ebay:
I was rather dubious over the claims I had read. Can a fiver really make that much difference?
Simple enough to change over, a quick check for alignment and weight. Stick the trusty Dark Side of the Moon on and wow instantly a vast improvement. You often wonder if you are just being fooled by these claims but after a blind test there was/is a huge improvement.
I have a couple of headshells with different cartridge stylus setups. This is quickly becoming my go to one.
Brilliant value for money and the best extra fiver you could possibly spend.....well at least on a stylus.

SOURCE

John: I think one needs to look at it the other way around, 'cause first came the AT95EX as special model, then the regular AT95E has been changed. So one could guess that AT calculated that lower quantities of two different cantilever/needle combos would cost 'em just as much as a higher quantity of the higher-ranking version and thus consequently upgraded the regular AT95E to EX level - with the advantage that they can now discontinue the EX at any time, if they want to, without giving existing EX owners a reason to complain (other than about the less nice colour...).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

One way or another, I wrote to Audio Technica directly, and am awaiting their answer regarding this issue. In which case I will let you know their explanation.

Back
Top Bottom