AT95E Tip Size?/"E" vs "EX"

Very interesting in any event. The AT95e is a great cartridge as plenty of us can attest. A "standard" .3X.7 elliptical makes it that much better IMO. If AT charged $100 for the AT95e it would still sell by the gross.

Got the answer from Audio Technica's support:

The AT95E that comes with the AT-LP120USBHC has a 0.3 x 0.7 mil stylus size.

The only difference between the AT95E and the AT95EX is in the stylus (the body is the same). The main difference in in the suspension for the cantilever – the EX has an upgraded system that allows a much better high frequency/transient response.

And really, when you look at the spec sheet from the earlier page, you can clearly see that "EX" goes all the way up to 22,000Hz, where the standard 95E goes up to 20,000. TBH, I totally overlooked this piece of information, but with that being said I I don't think it would be worth "upgrading" 95E to 95EX. Replacing, maybe (once the old 95E gets worn), but replacing it for the sake of better sound quality, I'd say definitely not.

Also, just to clarify things a bit... AT-LP120 model number (I'm guessing, at least) refers to model package & generation. For example, that "HC", after the "USB" refers to Audio Technica's HS-10 headshell that was included on my LP120. Same headshell as the ones seen on LP5, Audio Technica included them with latest LP120 gen, at least here in Europe where the older gens (along with those intended for US market) have standard, silver "Technics" type headshell also known as AT-HS1. So I'm guessing these other units might have came with 0.4x0.7 tips *shrug*

Don't know about the actual sound quality (especially since sound quality is highly subjective issue), but according to those data specs, even Ortofon's OM 5E would outperform 95EX. As for me personally, think I'm just going to stick with Shure :)

Last edited:
Before the EX came out LP Gear was selling their special version with a .3x.7 tip which I bought but I haven't listened to it yet. It was listed under the LP Gear cartridges.

Before the EX came out LP Gear was selling their special version with a .3x.7 tip which I bought but I haven't listened to it yet. It was listed under the LP Gear cartridges.

I always thought that the LP Gear cartridge was just an AT95E body with a JICO stuck in it.

John

I went through a phase of making AT95e-based frankencarts a year ago. I would pot them with epoxy and bury the metal cart body in a wood shell. Last would be "nuding" the stylus grip to wind up with something that looked a lot like a Clearaudio cart. They sound good and look cool IMO. I have tried the LPGear carbon-cantilever .3X.7 (CF95SE), the dark green .3X.7 (95SE) and an HE styus (95HE). I think the only commonly-available stylus I haven't tried for the AT95e is the LPGear vividline. The .3X.7 sounds better than the .4X.7, the HE sounds better still.

As far as suspension differences between them, who knows? They all look exactly the same to my eye "under the hood", but the elastomer material holding the cantilever and the cantilever themselves could be different. The CF cantilever certainly imparts a solid, bass-heavy tone that is noticeably different from the others.

All random thoughts here I guess.

I might as well be very much wrong, but I do have a theory... As you guys probably know, AT-LP120 used to come with "professional" ATP-2 cart & stylus, more suitable for DJ application than a regular HiFi one. However, most people didn't want LP120 for mixing & scratching, but instead were looking for a cheap & solid HiFi unit, so Audio Technica gave up on the initial idea & changed the cart for AT95E, 0.4 x 0.7. In fact, I personally remember online comments about PL-120 back in 2012, 2013 (not to be confused with LP-120), where people said they would buy 120, only if it had a better & more suitable cart & stylus. I was in the market for a new USB (or at least with built-in preamp) table back then & was considering PL/LP 120, but it seemed too expensive at the time.

So, what I'm guessing is that Audio Technica decided to move on with this idea, top it up if you wish. Because selling the LP120 with 95E is now old news, but upgrading the 95E to a smaller size (making it even better?) will theoretically attract even more people into buying one separately, or even buying LP120 that's bundled with one right from the factory. And TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if AT would decide to abandon 95E altogether, exactly what @boreas wrote on the previous page. Besides, LP120 now already has the same headshell as LP5, which is half-way there. By replacing the stylus for "EX", they'll end up with identical assembly for both units, of which both are very popular & high in demand. And having one design for both models translates to less production cost for AT, which equals better sale for less money invested.

Of course - with that being said, I could still be very much wrong & far from truth... :)

In the US, you can buy the AT95EX right from the factory site John (boreas) linked above, for $59.
Just bought a Nagaota MP-110 (not installed yet) to replace the stock cartridge...arrived yesterday. The needle was damaged on the original AT95E head but I'm still curious about how much improvement
the AT95EX would be over the stock?

Just bought a Nagaota MP-110 (not installed yet) to replace the stock cartridge...arrived yesterday. The needle was damaged on the original AT95E head but I'm still curious about how much improvement
the AT95EX would be over the stock?
According to data specs, not much apparently. Just the frequency range, 95E goes up to 20,000Hz, where 95EX up to 22,000... But it still has channel separation at 20db (just like AT95E), where Ortofon's OM 5 (and 10) both have 22,000Hz frequency response, but with channel separation at 22db. They are also both 0.3 x 0.7 styli... So the "EX" is not worth the money, in my personal opinion.

Edit
Sorry, my mistake. I went to double-check the data & as it turns out, Ortofon is 20,000 not 22, but their channel separation is indeed 22db.

Last edited:
I would like to ressurect this thread, when it was made the At-Vm95e was not out yet. Now with more known with the new line of AT i was wondering if that EX was just the same thing as the new Vm95e in a different housing?

Yes @Terracide - according to Audio Technica, both 95E and 95EX were merged into one, AT-VM95E cartridge. In fact, if you take a closer look at the specs for VM95, you will notice that it has a frq response of 20-22,000Hz, which was pretty much the only noticeable difference between 95E & 95EX (95E had 20-20,000Hz)

With that being said, people reported different opinions regarding VM series... Some claim how the older 95E & 95EX series sounded brighter than VM counterpart, which (according to them) sounds warmer, softer. However, both 95E & EX are still widely available, so (for now, at least) I don't see any problems. Actually, speaking of older AT-95 carts, I'm thinking of finally grabbing EX for myself... :)

I feel as though I saw quite a but of discussion, good and bad, about the AT95E for years. Then AT came out with its 'new' AT95 line and I see very little talk about it anymore. Ironic. I may have to try one from the newer line with an upgraded tip and see how it sounds in a Thorens arm.

Well i upgrade my old At95e to the AT-VM95e and i love it. It has more detail but not just more high frequency. The difference is not incredibly big but it's absolutely there. I am using a Pioneer PL-514 right now. I like it a lot, but i liked the old one as well.

I can't find it now but I read somewhere recently that the E used to be .4 x .7 but was changed to .3 x .7 at some point. My own AT95E has the .4 side radius, according to the included spec sheet. I got it about three years ago.
Yes this is right.
Chris

I would like to ressurect this thread, when it was made the At-Vm95e was not out yet. Now with more known with the new line of AT i was wondering if that EX was just the same thing as the new Vm95e in a different housing?
The vm series has high dc resistance and inductance than the old version.

Yes well that is just on paper. AT is notorious for giving lower specs for their carts and have other companies rebrand them with just another logo and selling them with higher specs. So those numbers dont mean that much to me.

Well i upgrade my old At95e to the AT-VM95e and i love it. It has more detail but not just more high frequency. The difference is not incredibly big but it's absolutely there. I am using a Pioneer PL-514 right now. I like it a lot, but i liked the old one as well.
Right, makes sense. The real question however is whenever AT-VM95 is better, superior than AT-95EX

Yes well that is just on paper. AT is notorious for giving lower specs for their carts and have other companies rebrand them with just another logo and selling them with higher specs. So those numbers dont mean that much to me.
Agreed, and AT-3600L is the perfect example! That cart has much wider stereo separation (than what it's officially rated, around 20dB).

Back
Top Bottom