Atomic ranch living room system

souladdikt

My first system is already going through some changes, so I thought I'd document them here.

I've been putting together a system that's geared toward casual and social listening. I don't have a dedicated listening room and I live in a mid-century ranch with a relatively open floor plan. The house is also furnished with a lot of mid-century modern furniture and when I decided to put a system together I knew I wanted gear that matched the space. This meant keeping things simple: turntable, integrated amp with built-in phono pre, speakers.

Here's how things actually started:
15884541325_9421b3a01e_c.jpg

Here you can see the entire floor plan I'm working with:
15799605907_09e527cef5_c.jpg

The turntable is a SL-1200 I've had since college. I knew going into this system that this table would be a placeholder for something else. I actually pulled this table from my DJ setup. And, despite the fact that I don't really DJ anymore, I didn't want to break up the pair of SL-1200s that have always been a set. True to my DJ roots, the cartridge is a Shure M44-7. I also had a cheap Behringer phono pre laying around, so I figured I'd use it. It's hooked up to a SMSL SA-60. I imagined this as a placeholder too. I'd been reading the long thread on the TPA3116 chips and figured I'd hear what the fuss was about. I also added an Airport Express for an easy streaming solution. Speakers are a pair of Tekton Lore Reference. The speakers were the only thing I knew I'd be keeping in this system long term.

Here is the system six months later:
17255324189_8c2b8f279d_c.jpg

The old phono pre was replaced first--it was pretty terrible. In its place is a Schiit Mani. The RP6 came next. It's fitted with an Exact cartridge. The rest is the same. I'll probably get a new integrated next. I'm also planning on adding a dac.

Last edited:
Bit by bit we make our systems better. Nice space & a nice rig. How do you like the Lore Reference? I have the Lore S (my space is a bit smaller) & I can't say enough about them. I'll bet the books absorb reflections behind the couch - no issues with reflections off the windows?

Very nice! I love the decor of the room, looks great! :yes: :thmbsp:

Bit by bit we make our systems better. Nice space & a nice rig. How do you like the Lore Reference? I have the Lore S (my space is a bit smaller) & I can't say enough about them. I'll bet the books absorb reflections behind the couch - no issues with reflections off the windows?

I like them quite a bit, especially for jazz. I do find myself wishing I'd gone for the full size Lore for times when I want to really fill the room. But I suspect a change in amp to alleviate that wish--even if just temporarily. The little amp really doesn't like to be pushed. The windows do create some issues, but it's not terrible, just a bit "lively." I'll do some room treatments when I get closer to settling on the rest of the system.

Wow - Very cool space!
Nice and roomy, and clean!

Beautiful space souladdikt. I've probably asked you before, I guess I'm nosey, but where are you in Illinois? We also live in a MCM house, sunken living room type, and they can present certain audio setup challenges. It looks like you have overcome most of yours. Well done. :thmbsp:

cubdog

I've always loved the look of your room (saw it in another post a while back). Great design, and looks very comfortable and relaxed. I'm sure it's a great place to hang with family and friends, spinning vinyl.

How do you like the Mani?

Beautiful space souladdikt. I've probably asked you before, I guess I'm nosey, but where are you in Illinois? We also live in a MCM house, sunken living room type, and they can present certain audio setup challenges. It looks like you have overcome most of yours. Well done. :thmbsp:

cubdog

I'm out in Urbana-Champaign. I'm at the university--that's why all the books. I love the open layouts of MCM spaces because they're great for hanging out with friends and family but, as you know, challenging when thinking about how to set up a system--both aesthetically and sonically. But I used to live in a true loft above an old refrigeration warehouse. So this is actually easier to deal with in some ways.

I've always loved the look of your room (saw it in another post a while back). Great design, and looks very comfortable and relaxed. I'm sure it's a great place to hang with family and friends, spinning vinyl.

How do you like the Mani?

Thanks. The Mani is a big improvement from my old phono pre. Soundstage really opened up and bass got tighter. The Behringer sounded like tin. I'm leaning toward picking up a Brio-R in the next few months, but I plan on keeping the Mani if I decide to move to an MC cart.

Last edited:
I have the atomic ranch thing also. Here's a small piece of the living room.

Nice. I take it you don't use the fireplace much? Or is it gas burning? Otherwise I'd be worried about the heat it would throw around all that equipment.

I'm leaning toward picking up a Brio-R in the next few months, but I plan on keeping the Mani if I decide to move to an MC cart.

I used a brio-r with my Lores for a brief time and thought it was a great combo. I only sold it cause I found a preamp I had been hunting for and needed the funds. I love the brio-r.

- Woody

Back
Top Bottom