ATS Acoustics panels - review

RichPA

Don't drive angry
Subscriber
Yesterday I installed 5 2' x 2' ATS Acoustics panels in our dining room, a 19 x 12 space open to the kitchen and another room. I put 3 on the long wall, and 2 on the side wall above the fireplace (the other sides of the room are open to other spaces). I'm very impressed with the result - the stereo system in there sounds much better, and it is much easier to sit at the dining table and hold a conversation.

The panels themselves are well-built - wood frame, with a solid wood back. And the price is certainly right - $27 per panel. They're heavy, about 7 pounds per panel; unlike the Echobusters panels we have in the main listening room (see http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=356545), these can't be hung on a finishing nail in the drywall. The included mounting hardware works well, but requires very fussy measuring and lots of wall anchors (4 per panel). I put up two panels with the supplied hardware, but used French cleats (much more forgiving in placement) for the remaining three.

I'm posting one pic that shows part of the setup - the others didn't come out well, so I'll post more soon.

Bottom line - these panels are wonderful for their price. Very effective, very cost effective. They look good (Lori approves!) and they made a night-and-day difference in the sound of the room, both for music and for conversation.

Attachments

• ATS1.jpg
    ATS1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 134
They look nice. Isn't it wonderful when your spouse likes your weird stuff too?

I bought several ATS panels for our livingroom. I ordered the open back version so they could be used for corner placement if I had the space to do so.

I didn't use any of the supplied mounting hardware. Instead, I used a picture mounting system called Wallbuddies. They are self-leveling hangers that can properly support heavy picture frames. You have to measure pretty precisely but can shift them to level after they are hung.

Back
Top Bottom