Attention all Midwest AK'ers- Swap Meet in Southern Wisconsin

How was the Swap Meet?

I received a late Friday night emergency call from work. I didn't get home until 12:30 am, and I had to go back on Saturday to make sure everything was okay. :(

Fun time at the fest

For a first time fest it went pretty well. We had about 20 or so people (local and AKers) stagger through the Silver Moon Saturday morning. Lee was there with a Sansui AU-999 (iirc) and his fan-modded Pioneer SX-980 driving his Altecs with some classic vinyl. I had a few pieces of gear for sale but nothing outstanding. Sold some cheap guitar amps and a Superscope cassette deck.

Lee did have some technical problems. I think he might have popped something in his amp when he was plugging in a tape deck. FWIW I *never* touch anything in back (except the antenna) without turning off the gear. I blew up an HH Scott R357B receiver and my Lafayette Electrosatic headphones doing that 20 years ago.

I have to thank Janesville John for clearing out his closet of functionally challenged gear. The Carver receiver with the bad channel will become my new tuner/pre to feed my TFM-25 amp. I can't wait to try out the Sonic Holography and the tuner!

Nobody was interested in my RCA New Vista or Rec-o-kut Challenger so off to ebay they go...

On a slightly related subject, I was thinking about how this could become a big thing if we wanted to run it during the summer on Sundays instead. Y'see, in Elkhorn (just up the road) every month during the summer there is a HUGE flea market that attracts people from Mich, IL, IA and even MN. With some minimal advertising in the proper places we could get some of that crowd.

Last edited:
Hey Gonzo. It was nice meeting you and I hope you have better luck with that gear then I did :p:

I had a great time and even made a few scores. A bunch of albums from Lees collection, a sweet SL 1650 TT (spinning as I type) and an interesting pair of EPI's which have some of the coolest tweets I've heard.

Had Lee come over for a visit afterwards and we had a good time just shootin the chit. I even learned a thing or 2.

Lees bro is one cool cat and I look forward to hitting the Silver Moon for some BBQ ribs in the near future.

My wife is happy because every single piece I brought is now gone. But I think I'm feeling some seperation pains :(

Was fun. Looking forward to the next one.

John

Back
Top Bottom