Attention Fairchild Freaks!

If it's OK with Chris(radioactive) (he didn't say it was ok) I have a copy.
Its ok Scott I was just replying when your message showed up. I was actually searching the ak database as I'm sure its in there withe the review for the preamplifier. Go ahead I have no legal rights to it:D

Thanks Scott for posting the 245 manual. Jlema if you want you can goto radiomuseum. org and search Fairchild 248 preamplifier and can download for free upto 6 downloads a day. I have the downloads from there and the give you the full schematic for both channels with the stereo converter download for yourself or send me a private conversation with your email adress and I'll send them to you. Regards,
Chris

Thanks, guys.

Have yet to fire the 260 but maybe in the next day or two.

Edit - just fired it up with a dbt without incident. Am excited but know I've got some old components to replace before this 260 sees regular use.

Last edited:
Ho wmuch work do you guys think those 255 need? I can't do a restoration so need to aks for help of a professional...

Judging by the pictures and his description all that's been replaced are a few resistors.all those with coupling caps would have to go along with the electrolytic capacitors and the big round filter cap to enjoy years of worry free listening.there really isn't much parts in these amps and if you can solder you could probably do it yourself with very little effort.

Yeah - this is the second time I missed a pair for other life related reasons. Bad miss. Hope someone here got them.

Yeah about 2 pairs year LOL. Overall these amps are very rare compared to other brands. At any rate I have way too much gear anyway...

Looks like the 750 also uses the same bearing/platter/belt system as the 412.

The 411 and late production 412s used the "borg death cube" motor. They're suspended, just not on the potbelly Barry isolators like the Papst motor used in the first 60% or so of 412 production. The tables with the "death cube" used the same Lord isolators as Rek-O-Kut and Empire. Rather astonishingly, both types of isloator are still in production, 60+ years later. The Lord mounts being somewhat easier to buy, due to their use in Empire and RoK tables. Only a handful of manufacturers used the Barry mounts that I'm aware of, and all were low production companies (Fairchild, HH Scott, Pickering, and Gray).

Sam,
Do you know the 411h ? Is it more 750ish than 412ish ? The one that has been listed on the bay sure looks like a 412. just curious... I probably won't be buying it.

Sam,
Do you know the 411h ? Is it more 750ish than 412ish ? The one that has been listed on the bay sure looks like a 412. just curious... I probably won't be buying it.

I know the 411H from two examples that have appeared on eBay, and one AKer that owns (or owned) one. Apparently they had some issues with it and it was discontinued in favor of the 412. As far as I can tell, only a few hundred were built, as I don't recall seeing one with a S/N higher than 400. I do know that at least one of them was exchanged under warranty for a 412-4.

The 411H uses a big Ashland motor similar to (or maybe identical to) the motor used in the Rek-O-Kut B12H. It seems to be a hybrid idler/belt drive with a three-pulley mechanism that changes between 33, 45, and 78, but I've never had one in hand to verify that. The bearing, at least the outer platter casting, the trim wing and the selector knob were all shared with various 412 models.

Back
Top Bottom