Attention Fairchild Freaks!

I may be able to get a Schick from France w/out waiting...
Which headshell are you using with it?

I use a Sony SH-165 on the Schick. Sort of an oddball choice, but the guy I bought the table from swore by it. I’ve tried a few and it sounds the best. I’d like to try an AT techni-hard 18g headshell next, the extra mass is supposed to do wonders for my DL-103.

Guy is dreaming.
Although some fairchild cartridges go for good money(mono) he will be sitting on this for awhile. The reviews on this cartridge arnt that great as well as there were much better available at the time as this came out from what I've read.

Anyone using a banana arm?
Found a source in Europe - some nicely upgraded Ortofon 12” arms - the fellow suggests that the banana sounds better.
Could support the use of an SPU in the future...
Oh and much less than the Schick arm.

Last edited:
Anyone using a banana arm?
Found a source in Europe - some nicely upgraded Ortofon 12” arms - the fellow suggests that the banana sounds better.
Could support the use of an SPU in the future...
Oh and much less than the Schick arm.
I had one, of course pretty good on mono although it was actually a stereo arm. As cool as they look I found it more clunky and unsophisticated (not that great a tracker) than other arms of similar vintage. The bearings were simple set screw needlepoint type and could be easily damaged if the heavy arm were to take a fall. I found the Gray unipivot models (and their clones) to be much better. I would imagine anything Ortofon produced to be a better performer.

If I already didn't have a 440 I'd look into that one. When I bought mine i t came with 2 extra nos aluminum plates still wrapped in paper.

Your pockets must be deeper than mine. :beerchug:
My pockets have holes in them and no money. :p
I could not afford some the gear I own or owned at today's prices.
Through my years of collecting audio gear I've ponied up and paid the going price for some pieces of gear at the time but at the same time I've found bargains more than I care to admit when I was actively searching. I'm just glad I have my FAIRCHILD 260 amps ,248 preamp and 440 turntable for what I paid for them otherwise I'd be drooling looking at auctions on ebay.

Back
Top Bottom