Attention Fairchild Freaks!

Neither have I.

There is a long thread about the auction on AK under Dollars and Sense.....Vintage McIntosh Motherload in Conneticut

Yeah watching it
So how does this preamp compare to Fisher 400 cx2 or McIntosh c20/22 given it’s priced the same (more actually)?
I know it is extremely rare so I am not really debating value but more so quality/ sound/ functions, including phono stage?

Yes, top serial # last digit is hard to read. If it is a zero...then they are sequential...but doesn't look like it. Could be an 8 or 5 or even a 9?
I think it is an 8.
They look pretty nice! Outer case has some paint lose....

But, WoW!

Screen Shot 2018-11-24 at 4.08.26 PM.png

Might want to look at other Fairchild equipment made at that time to see if the "0" in the serial number has a diagonal line through it. If so, I'd say that last digit is a 0.

Yes, top serial # last digit is hard to read. If it is a zero...then they are sequential...but doesn't look like it. Could be an 8 or 5 or even a 9?
I think it is an 8.
They look pretty nice! Outer case has some paint lose....

But, WoW!

View attachment 1338716
I'm going with 848 and that's my final answer:D.9 numbers out is close enough and probally bought at the same time.
As for highpings question fairchild gear I've seen doesn't have a diagoal line going through their zero's.
Thanks for reposting that for the members who might of not seen it before. I do believe its in the ak database as well at a higher resolution.
As for the paint on the cover wear mine has it as well but the rest of the preamp is very good.

Last edited:
Just looked behind mine and guess what no line between the zero in my serial number. Fwiw for prosperity heres a picture of the serial numbers on mine. I'd say without going into the backroom and looking for 2 preamps with sequential serial numbers I don't think you'd get much closer than mine. You have to remember these preamps were sold as mono so if Joe down the road walks in wants a single he buys one. It'd be pretty hard to get sequential serial numbers although mine came close. MVIMG_20181124_160507.jpg MVIMG_20181124_160523.jpg

Also fwiw you had 2 choices for colors of the faceplates. There was white and a cream color. Unfortunately my 247 has a cream colored one and my preamps are both white.

Incorrect knobs and no case is a deal breaker at the price they're asking and why its still sitting there. Now if it had the correct knobs and no case someone might of jumped on it as you could make a nice wood case for it but those knobs are unattainable.

Well the 248 sold for its opening bid of $3995 which is now a record high for a 248 since ive been following Fairchild gear.

The last two pairs sold for around $2,300 - not sure how these compare to those pairs in terms of restoration and additional work needed. I do recognize the rarity of these amps.
The above pair asking price is the same as a fully restored, re-chromed, etc. pair of Mc 30 with 1 year warranty. I know that in this thread McIntosh is considered a lesser amp vs Fairchild, but I use this comparison as both are driving distance, same money but one offers peace of mind with warranty.

Wonder what price would this fella accept? May try...but after reading all the previous (and other AK posts) wondering if getting a 255 is worth or better awaiting a pair of 260 or even 275?

I have a pair of Quad ESL63 which need some work but eventually would love a pair of nice mono blocks to pair them with...

Back
Top Bottom