Attention Fairchild Freaks!

He is willing to ship (see below). I certainly wouldn't trust the "professionals" at UPS to safely pack this table, especially with the SME arm.

From a performance standpoint, I would choose a nice low serial number "full chassis" 412-1 over this 755.

From the Ebay listing:

"SHIPPING: I will ship this despite listing it as local pickup only. Due to the fragile nature I believe it would be best to leave the packing to a professional so if you win this auction I will bring it to my local UPS store and drop it off to be packed and shipped. You will pay them directly so this way you know you are paying the EXACT shipping amount , nothing more, nothing less. If you have any questions you can call or text me at 860-946-3137 (Joe)."

He is willing to ship (see below). I certainly wouldn't trust the "professionals" at UPS to safely pack this table, especially with the SME arm.

From a performance standpoint, I would choose a nice low serial number "full chassis" 412-1 over this 755.

From the Ebay listing:

"SHIPPING: I will ship this despite listing it as local pickup only. Due to the fragile nature I believe it would be best to leave the packing to a professional so if you win this auction I will bring it to my local UPS store and drop it off to be packed and shipped. You will pay them directly so this way you know you are paying the EXACT shipping amount , nothing more, nothing less. If you have any questions you can call or text me at 860-946-3137 (Joe)."

Yeah... I saw that after I opened both eyes... but I decided to take your advice. I didn't look very close at first.

yet another 412 $250 BIN

Particle board top, probably 8000+ serial number.

That's really strange. I've never seen a 412 with a Papst motor mounted to the 1-piece mounting plate with Lord isolators. That mount was usually used for the late tables with the "Borg Death Cube" motor.

It also has the same crack in the particle board top as the plinth I have from #8319.

Picked this up before xmas - Fairchild 280a arm - Also came with a Fairchild 255A mono cart, Fairchild SM1 stereo cart and 3 separate adapters

For posterity, This 280a arm untested, used/untested 255a and SM1 carts sold on the bay global shipping for $1100

For posterity, This 280a arm untested, used/untested 255a and SM1 carts sold on the bay global shipping for $1100
Do you know the rough specs of those cartridges because the setup I'm getting has that exact same tonearm but I may need a new cartridge. So I'm looking for something new that will be a nice match.

Do you know the rough specs of those cartridges because the setup I'm getting has that exact same tonearm but I may need a new cartridge. So I'm looking for something new that will be a nice match.

Sorry, I do not - Packed and shipped them this morning

Sm1 specs:

Vintage FAIRCHILD SM1 Magnetic Stereo Diamond Phono Cartridge with Original Needle/Stylus ! Specification: output: 11.5 millivolts at 5 cm / sec. and 1 kc, 16.2 millivolts at 7 cm / sec. and 1 kc hum level: Hum is 65 dB below signal level when mounted on turntable. These figures are well below competitive units under identical conditions. construction: Internal copper case for electrostatic screening, completely enclosed inmu-metal outer case which affords complete magnetic shielding. tracking: 30 cm/sec. sinusoidally, at approximately 3 grams. dimensions: Designet to fit all standard record changer and transcription arms with either ½" or ⁷/₁₆" mounting centers stylus tip radius: 0.7 mil diamond recommended tracking pressure: 3-4 grams impedance: 2000 ohms DC resistance and 0.5 h inductance. Nominal impedance at 1kc,3700ohms optimum load: 47,000 ohms,39K to 100K acceptable dimensions: Weight 12 gm, stylus tip to mounting centers: standatd - 0.398 inch

Audio Classics lists it as 'for parts/repair', but I'm sure a phone call to them would get the info you need.

I was able to track down the serial number of the 280a Tonearm and it's 3563, and the unknown Shure Cartridge is a M55E.

Does that correspond with the chassis serial no date wise?

Yeah, from what I've seen. The first 2500-ish 412s were run off in a fairly quick production run in later 1957/early 1958 (I have no idea how long it took Papst to ship motors from Germany to the US), then production settled down to around 1500-2000 per year for the rest of the run.

Back
Top Bottom