Attention Kim G.

MikE

Color Me Gone
I filed my claim at the main post office today. Boy, did I receive a frosty reception! I spoke with two agents and the first, who handles business accounts, listened to my entire story, looked at the damaged goods [even the good pair of solid-plates I brought in] and said "it doesn't look very good for a claim". The gentlemen who handles personal claims didn't even look at the tubes or box, he just assisted with finishing the paperwork.

The killer part was when I asked him "What is your opinion of my claim"? He said, "I don't have an opinion". I said, "Ok, off the record what is your opinion"? He said the same thing. So I said, "If my claim was insured for less than $50.00 YOU would make the decision, right"? He said, "yes". So over a technicality he chose to be unhelpful. I realize that his "opinion" made no difference in the outcome of my case but I would have appreciated his opinion none the less. The overall impression I got was that they were very skeptical of the entire situation and unwilling to do anything more than what was absolutely required. Great customer service!

MikE

My Apologies

I'm sorry you got that kind of response, maybe it was a case of CYA in case it is denied. I wouldn't treat a customer that way. Technically he was correct, if he only sends in your claim without making a strong case for it to be denied ( which I have done- long story) then it will be processed and paid.
On your next visit to the PO, ask to talk to the clerk who processed your claim for St. Louis and ask him to show you a copy of ALL the paperwork he sent in with your claim. Then ask him for the telephone number you can call to check on the progress of your claim ( automated system) in St. Louis. You should have received a copy of your claim and in the upper right hand corner (IIRC) is your claim #. You will need this # when you call the number in St. Louis.
Let me know if I can help in any way. Wish I could have handled your claim.
Later................ Kim

Thanks Kim

I'm unclear what you're saying. I thought the guy was only ptocessing my claim, does he have any influence on how my claim will be handled in St. Louis? Coud he make a recommendation, additional remarks and so forth. If so, that's bull because he didn't even look at anything but the paperwork, least in front of me. Instead he said he was briefed by the lady I spoke with first. I'll ask to see the paperwork in a few days. Though, judging by the reception today, I forsee less than full cooperation with that request.

MikE

Mike,
He or she was only doing their job - Making sure that all the information and supporting documentation was complete so that you would not have to return again with more information. The clerk will process the claim form and send it in back at their desk. The clerk will make a notation as to whether the items were properly packaged and will notate any physical damage to the container.
When you go in to see the paperwork the clerk should show it to you. If for any reason you are not satisfied with the handling of your claim, ask to talk to the postmaster or station manager.

HTH

Kim

next visit to the PO, ask to talk to the clerk who processed your claim for St. Louis and ask him to show you a copy of ALL the paperwork he sent in with your claim
I followed your suggestion, and the same clerk told me "ALL the paperwork was sent in with the claim". Isn't there a standard protocal followed by all stations or was I just told a story? It's no big deal because St. Louis is handling it but I don't appreciate being jerked around either.

MikE

Mike,
There isn't a "standard protocol" as to what each office is required to keep other than a copy of the claim form you filled out. I kept a copy of EVERYTHING I sent in to St. Louis. I did this to cover my own ass. I don't think you were being jerked around, they just probably let St. Louis do all the processing. Did you get the number for the automated claims system? If not, I'd be happy to get it for you.

Kim

Thanks again Kim

You've been extremely helpful. I do appreciate your assistence with this unfortunate matter. Yes, I did receive the number at the time of the claim. He said to give them like three weeks to process. BTW - Another person in our group of 6 did receive their tubes today intact and operational. I suppose this is good sign but isn't the St Louis office's decision final? Should it be declined.

MikE

Thanks Kim - Claim approved

I learned the other day that my claim was approved and today further learned that the full amount will be refunded+postage. So considering the unfortunate circumstance I'm pleased with the outcome. Thanks again for helping out :beerchug:

MikE

Last edited:
All we have to offer is Service

Mike-
I'm glad it went like I thought it would. I know it won't replace the broken tubes, I wish that somehow you can get your hands on a pair of these tubes, I know how much you were looking forward to them. Glad I could help in any little way.

Kim

Back
Top Bottom