AU-20000 driver board heat question/concern

JoshHendi

^ElectroNerd^
Subscriber
Finished a recap on the AU-20000 along with new offset and bias trimmers a few weeks ago. Also replaced the Hitachi 2SC984 bias transistors on the F-2507 driver boards with a recommended 2N2222

Now I never really checked/notice heat before the recap and transistor replacement, but ever since replacing the bias transistor and correctly setting (and re-checking and verifying) the bias, I've noticed the heatsyncs on the F-2507 driver boards, where the bias transistor is mounted, seems to get hotter than I'd expect.

Unfortunately I never noticed if the driver board heatsyncs heated up this much before replacing the transistor, but after playing for about an hour or more, there is a good amount of heat coming from those heatsyncs. I can touch them for a few seconds, but they do get too hot to continue touching longer than that.

Now I am a computer tech and am always paranoid about heat. I know this amp is a monster, but should the driver boards really be heating up that much?

I am hoping that another AU-20000 owner can check the temps on the driver board heat syncs and let me know if they seem to put off as much heat as mine are doing. I am probably just being paranoid, but with this amp, dont want to take any chances.

Attachments

• 20160922_222837.jpg
    20160922_222837.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I have a 20K.. but it's REALLY HARD to get to those boards...BUT I just finished my repair on my 3k ( same drivers ) and yes they do get TOASTY as you described... and that's with the Bias & DC offset set to perfection !

Back
Top Bottom