AU-517 compared to today's amps?

RielTime

Hey guys and gals, I have a AU-517 with the matching TU-517 and wondering how they match up with today's amps in general. Right now they are in storage but I plan on setting up a two channel system in my basement shortly. Also, I am planning on adding a sub woofer to the system.

Any insight would be appreciated.........................

Tom

Provided it's up to spec, as good as most and better than a lot of them. Definitely better than anything at Circuit Crappy and Worst Buy. Great 2-channel rig, and definitely better than any home-theater receiver for listening to music.

TP

I was going through the archives, and thought I would add my 2cents worth desite the date.

I have a AU-517 with the matching TU-517 and wondering how they match up with today's amps in general.

I do not know your model exactly, but I have an AU-307 which may be more or less sonically comparable. It may compare more closely with your 517 than would my Nippon model AU-al707Extra, even though the 307 is a more compact and junior model than yours. Regardless of comparative eqivalents, I take your question to be a more general comparison of 'then' as opposed to 'now' sort of thing.

If you are familiar with NAD amps, I'd answer by saying that sonically speaking, the 307 would compare closely with the NADs I have listened to. Someone else has said the same thing recently; maybe it was on this listserve. I much prefer many of the Sansui's parts.

I once owned a NAD, and I have spent a lot of time listening to a friend's more recent C series NAD, as well as other models over the years. All the above are frisky amps of modest, but capable power. They are made to a price and do not pretend to be hi-end, but they are products of honest engineering and production practice. More importantly, they convey feeling, as opposed to just musical information. The Sanusi is downright lyrical.

Taking all this together, and assuming that the older unit is up to spec, these days I think that you have to look pretty hard to find integrated amps that fit this desciription in the under $800-$1000 class.

I used a Marantz PM-78 integrated for 4 years as our family machine (as opposed to 'Papa's mania' gear). Nicely made, heavy, all the modern 'holes' at the back, remote control, well engineered, excellent reviews on TNT. And it played thousands of hours without a hicup. Not expensive either. But, whatever I hung on it in the way of speakers, cable or source, it sounded uninspired compared to the NAD which had preceded it. I'd take the humble looking AU-307 over the Marantz in a heartbeat, despite my respect for the Marantz as a refinded workhorse.

I just like the sound of these older amps. It may be the discrete nature of their electronics. Perhaps it's their older circuit design, or the transfomers they were using. Anyway, as soon as I plug and play them, I feel an excitement that is not there with newer electronics. This is my taste anyway. And that is ultimately what it comes down to: taste, and of course money AND the fact that older gear can never be guarenteed to survive the sort of beating our family's Marantz did without some servicing.

Recently I changed out the filter and bypass caps in the AU-307. Did a simple tweak or two. It is currently running on the same sources and speakers as a decade old monster Denon PMA-1090. Now, the Denon is one hell of an amp. The models which have succeeded it are much the same inside and are close to 300,000 yen — lets say $2500 for sake of discussion. Well, as things go, I play one for a bit, then I transfer all the plugs and play the other for a few days. Sure the Denon is a better sound. But if you were here, you might agree with me that although this remains true, the Sansui is also a treat — so much so that recently when a friend came by for a night of beers and old tunes, we never did get to the Denon.

If you are still pondering the question you raised, I hope that this subjective approach will help you in discovering your own tastes and electronic requirements.

Oh, BTW: My al707 has replaced the Marantz which has gone to a friend. The 707 has been running all day and into the evening putting out CD and TV into the family room — from 8 Ohms into 6 Ohm Sansui speakers — in the appalling humidity of the Japanese summer. And it runs hot like the Marantz before it. I keep thinking I should run it with the hood off until the weather changes, but I keep it on for family saftey. And it just keeps running. It may smoke an output transistor tomorrow, or next week. Then again it probably won't. But with older gear, who knows?

PS I can't comment on the TU, but you can run over to the Tuner Information Center website (Eric Fader et al). You may get some good info on that specific model, and definitely good info in regards to Sansui tuners in general. — Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom