AU-517 Phono stage bad, repair or preamp suggestions

hwystar

I just acquired this AU-517, TU-517 combo. Very nice sounding but the amp has some input issues. The tuner has a dead or very weak right channel and phono 1 has a dead or very weak left. Phono 2 also has the same problem with addition of hum on the left channel.

If I had a tech to take it to I would because I'm not capable of doing major restorations, which it probably needs anyway.. I have tried the cleaning of pots and switches with no change.

I'm just trying to get by until I get someone for needed repairs so I was wondering about a phono preamp. Can anyone suggest one that isn't too expensive that will be halfway decent? I guess I could find another amp or preamp to use as the phono stage. I might have something lying around here I could use. Other advice or suggestions?

Last edited:
Best thing is using the pre-amp of an 'already owned' amplifier, otherwise you'll just be wasting money buying a pre-amp as a stopgap. The faults with the AU-517 don't sound major. I'd guess the Phono inputs may have either been overloaded at some point, have faulty associated regulated PSU's, or a combination of this and dirty switches.

Finally, in proper working condition the AU-517 is quite hard to beat for its Phono inputs or for its pre/power amplifier.

After looking at prices of phono preamps I do agree. I have an 80s model pioneer integrated sa 950 that might be able to pull that off. I'll see if there's anything else but I believe that will be it.

The phono preamp can definitely be repaired. Where are you located, maybe we can point you to someone to take a look at it.

Please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom