au 517

Christray

Got one of these coming to me in the uk from my brother in the usa. The unit has been restored by estore- us in Olympia Washington anyone used him? Can anyone point me in the direction of a good tech for Sansui in the uk and also is it worth replacing the power cord when the plug is changed to a uk variant. What are peoples thoughts on changing the spring clips for binding post? My brother bought this new in 78 and comes boxed with the rack mounts and is visually excellent so be nice to keep it top notch, Many thanks Chris

First post here so hopefully haven't broken rules.

Hello Chris - welcome to Audiokarma :thumbsup:

A superb tech in the UK would be Hyperion (John) - who is familiar with most of the AU-x17 series
Please also state which part of the UK you are located

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the reply i'm in Loughborough . The sansui is currently in transit so when it arrives i will put up some pictures for people to look at the work. Once again thanks for the reply.

No prob's
Indeed would be good to see some detailed pix of the restoration work that "estore" has carried out - have seen several their ad's on a certain auction site

This arrives today,just to check operation if i remove the us plug which wires are live and neutral markings ?. Obviously a different rated fuse is needed.. Will post pics of the work that was carried out.

US mains colours are Black (live), White (neutral), Green (earth), - corresponding to our Live (brown), Neutral (blue), Green & Yellow striped (earth).

Don't forget to check/change the mains voltage setting. ;)

Last edited:
Plus 1 for John as a Sansui great in the UK. You cannot go wrong.
The AU 517 sound like in excellent shape. Hope it comes with a voltage selector switch.
Otherwise, dont plug it in. Just get JOhn to see it first.
Its a wonderful amp. Have fun listening.

Cheers,
Robert.

This arrived sorted the fuse and plug and fired it up. Now this has been sat in a humid enviroment for a year after recap and was only used as a power amp. Voulume,balance and tone controls are scratchy when turned so any ideas on cause. Does sound really nice though.

Last edited:
Just send me a PM (personal message) on this site these are called 'Conversations' to do this, hover your mouse over your 'Inbox' on the top right, then click 'Start a New Conversation' ;)

Your AU-517 looks in great condition - from the pix you've posted, looks like "estore" has recapped and removed the glue too

Your AU-517 looks in great condition - from the pix you've posted, looks like "estore" has recapped and removed the glue too

Yes, this is a good sign, and also they have used low ESR capacitors on the PSU/Protector PCB and driver boards, however I can't see what the large capacitors on the driver boards are.

The large cap's on the driver boards could be Elna's - if going by the pattern on their can top's

elna silmic are the brown caps, panasonic and nichicon. 12000 ones are cornell dubliner .
Just a shame the controls are scratchy .

Try the simple things first, with power off work all the controls back and forth 25-50 times and see if that allows the wipers to clean off any light corrosion. No dis-assembly required :)

Try the simple things first, withpower off work all the controls back and forth 25-50 times andsee if that allows the wipers to clean off anylight corrosion. No dis-assembly required :)
This appears to be sorting out the crackly pots so thank you very much. Looks like I can enjoy listening to this really very nice amp whilst it runs in. Had only 10hours on all the new components so should improve. At least I am happy that John(hyperion) is not that far from me if needed. :)

Nice Amp. Please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

The trumpets are original. If Bias & DC is spot on, trim pots are ok, otherwise, from the photos, those may be the only things to replace.
If some crackling still exists when the pots & switches, use a good non oily contact cleaner (best is DeOxit), squirt into the tiny openings of the pots and repeat the process Overundr1 advised. Then leave it for a day or two. It should become as good as new.
The 517 is a great, underrated unit. Enjoy, esp with vinyl.
Robert.

Back
Top Bottom