AU-717 newbie help...

bripab007

Hi all :) I've had an AU-717 and TU-717 for quite some time and have just recently begun using them again after few year hiatus. I had a few questions concerning the operation of the amp. First, and I know this question will date me, but of the four inputs (Phono 1, 2, Tuner & Aux.), to which would I hook up the CD player? I currently have it on Aux. Secondly, do these different inputs have different characteristics (i.e., output power, filtering, etc.). Third, I tried hooking up my Xbox to one of the Phono inputs briefly today, and it was so powerful that I was only able to turn the volume up one (1!!) notch past full muted, and this was with the 20dB muting (!!!??). Is it possible the Xbox has some sort of internal amp that was too much in conjunction w/ the AU-717? Thanks for all the help, folks :)

The phono has its own pre-preamp, that's why y'all got blasted out! Use aux for the cd and the tuner for any other line in.
Those few inputs were fine 25 years ago. Now, if you want to run more outboard gear, you need one of those little box thingies that you connect to the aux inputs and it has multiple pairs of inputs.

Bullys right. Use AUX for the CD player, but since you have a tuner you're probably already using the TUNER INPUT, so try using one of the TAPE PLAY inputs for your game. I would think that should work fine as well.

Moon

The AU-717 was made a few years before cd players came around but thats not an issue at all, simply plug the cd player output L & R into the Aux input jacks L & R with L going to L and R going to R obviously (so you dont reverse the sound of what should be coming out of the left spkr with that of the right, comprende'?) You could also plug a cd player output L & R into the Tape Play L & R input jacks as well but if you plan on using any tape machines, be it cassette or open reel (reel to reel), then its logical to use the Tape jacks (Tape 1, Tape 2 in the back) for those (the AU-717 Copy selector control on the bottom right corner makes it easy to make recordings onto those tape machines connected to the tape jacks or transfer recordings from one tape machine to another).

The TU-717 is a Tuner, so I dont see why you would have any :screwy: as to which input on the AU-717 to connect it to other than the TUNER input.

If you plan on using a turntable, which was THE main playback device at the time the AU-717 was made, then you MUST connect the turntable to the Phono input, either 1 or 2 on the 717 (the next Line Sansui AU-919 amp specifically designated each one as either Moving Magnet or Moving Coil type).

There is Equalization applied (called RIAA) as well as the very small signal from the turntable cartridge output that needs to be amplified so Turntables to Phono inputs on a preamp is a must. And likewise, you do not connect any line level sources like cd players, tuners, or tape machines to the phono input.

I am not familiar with the term 'X-box', is that an outboard phono stage? If its a device to add more inputs, say you have alot of hi fi equipment, and not enough inputs on the AU-717 to accomodate them, you can use a device like the Sansui AX-7 to connect them into, or get another separate preamp , or even a receiver with separable pre/power amp sections and use its preamp section, and switch between it and the AU-717 using the AX-7:

http://search-completed.ebay.com/se...ag1code=&ebaytag1=&ebaytag12=ebayreg&from=R14

B/F

Originally posted by BeatleFred

I am not familiar with the term 'X-box', is that an outboard phono stage? If its a device to add more inputs, say you have alot of hi fi equipment, and not enough inputs on the AU-717 to accomodate them, you can use a device like the Sansui AX-7 to connect them into, or get another separate preamp , or even a receiver with separable pre/power amp sections and use its preamp section, and switch between it and the AU-717 using the AX-7:

B/F

An X-Box is a videogame console, analogous to a Nintendo console. They have line-level sound output.

Back
Top Bottom