Au-7700

sjnemo

Just scored a mint example-everything works great but i had a question on the phono 1 stage 30K, 50K & 100K Ohm load switch. I tested out the phono stages with my Technics SL-D2 TT I think it has a budget Audio Technica cartridge. Phono 2 stage works great, but I cant get any output on phono 1 stage, even with switching thru all ranges. I assume this switch allows you to match the stage with cartridge load? Is there a special higher end cartridge that should be used with phono 1 stage? Bear with me, I'm new to these amps...

No, you dont need a special cartridge to use Phono 1. The different switch settings should only result in a small change in the high freq response.

Did your AU-7700 come with the pin plugs? Usually you insert the pin plugs in the other jacks of the Phono terminal that you are not using. Perhaps doing that will correct your problem.

BeatleFred, thanks much for the response! Yes, my unit came with the pin plugs, which were in phono 1 stage when I tried out phono 2 stage. When I tried #1 I never put the plugs back in #2. I will try it out today although I'm sure thats the cause.

This unit cleaned up really nice and looks almost brand new. It had , although consistent usage, was never abused by a Dr. who inherited it from his father who bought it new. I think I scored a nice example for $75.

One last question-I know Sansui is out of business and serviceability of this vintage gear is always a crap-shoot. This leads me to the following- a buddy of mine has an AU-11000 professional series integrated which he bought new overseas in the mid-70's. He hasnt used it a while as he says wierd things are happening, no specifics (yet), but when he depresses certain switches or turns the volume knob channels cut out or something like that. We are going to give it a good cleaning and see what exactly is going on. Its a sentimental piece to him (brings him back to his Navy days going to see Asian Wish Bone Ash cover bands), but he's on the fence about putting a lot of money into it. Any recomendations or service techs available locally to Connecticut (East Coast) for a reasonable resurrection?

The channels cutting in and out can certainly be the result of alot of those switches accumulating dust & filth over the years- I would definitely try and give it a good cleaning, a can of compressed air to blow out any 'schmutz' & 'dreck' inside is a good idea.

As for a reputable shop, try:

http://www.sound-smith.com/

Regards, B/F.

Back
Top Bottom