AU-999

So the service manual I found online doesn't have a schematic diagram and the main amp section current adjustment says to to connect the ammeters + terminal to 27 and its - terminal to B1 in the schematic diagram?Is this the right way ?20180221_183206.jpg

Ok so I did every modification I could find on here and set the bias current with the leads on each side of the fuse holder like the above pic and I also decided to do away with the protection board and just rely on 1 amp fuses for speaker protection and then I hooked up two sets of speakers and it runs fine with speaker A or B but when I turned the knob to speakers A&B both 1 amp fuses blew when I turned the volume up half way?20180314_202137.jpg

I’d think 1 amp fused are too small for that scenario.
Half volume should be quite loud - where did you come up with that value?

I’d think 1 amp fused are too small for that scenario.
Half volume should be quite loud - where did you come up with that value?
I read it on one of these AU-999 modification threads where there was some controversy over by passing the protection circuit and relying on the fuses for protection.

When you’re connecting 2 sets of speakers the impedance drops and draws more current.
Two pair of 8 ohm speakers will give you a 4 ohm load.
If you’re going to run it like this I’d say try a 2 amp fuse.

When you’re connecting 2 sets of speakers the impedance drops and draws more current.
Two pair of 8 ohm speakers will give you a 4 ohm load.
If you’re going to run it like this I’d say try a 2 amp fuse.
Yep I was thinking the same thing because the 1 amp fuse works just fine with 1 pair of speakers.

I dont have the manual in front of me but recall the original fuses may be 4 amp?

I read it on one of these AU-999 modification threads where there was some controversy over by passing the protection circuit and relying on the fuses for protection.

I have been thinking about this and wondering if those fuses will still blow, even when some of us have removed the crowbar circuit. As this removal would obviously change the performance of the protection quite a bit.

I think the fuses would blow regardless, based on their amp rating vs amp draw. The protection circuit as I understand it probes for excessive DC right at the terminal - well after the rail fuses.

I can't remember the numner, but I would stick with fuse amp rating as specified.

P.s ...and use tuner input for your primary source. AUX goes through a small diameter pot and a rotary switch :thumbsdown:

I dont have the manual in front of me but recall the original fuses may be 4 amp?

I have been thinking about this and wondering if those fuses will still blow, even when some of us have removed the crowbar circuit. As this removal would obviously change the performance of the protection quite a bit.
Hopefully they blow if a problem develops cause I really like my klipsch chorus 2s.

I think the fuses would blow regardless, based on their amp rating vs amp draw. The protection circuit as I understand it probes for excessive DC right at the terminal - well after the rail fuses.

I can't remember the numner, but I would stick with fuse amp rating as specified.

P.s ...and use tuner input for your primary source. AUX goes through a small diameter pot and a rotary switch :thumbsdown:
I presume he’s not referring to the rail fuses but rather fuses added to the output line that goes to the speakers.

14mA across one of the emitter resistors, screw taking the fuses out and fiddling around with blown DMM fuses and whatnot, takes a few millseconds to set bias across the emitter resistor...

14mA across one of the emitter resistors, screw taking the fuses out and fiddling around with blown DMM fuses and whatnot, takes a few millseconds to set bias across the emitter resistor...
Does it matter which emitter resistor to measure from?

No can be either one....
Clip on and dial it up, or down as needed..
Will do Thank you for the input.One question do you change out the green I think Mylar caps?Or change them out?I left them all in place and it sounds pretty good the way it is but I'm always open for upgrades..

Will do Thank you for the input.One question do you change out the green I think Mylar caps?Or change them out?I left them all in place and it sounds pretty good the way it is but I'm always open for upgrades..
I leave them if they aren't giving any trouble.
The last 999 I did sounds pretty nice, and that had the green caps....

I leave them if they aren't giving any trouble.
The last 999 I did sounds pretty nice, and that had the green caps....
Ok I left the green caps in place I set the bias at 14ma across the emitters and played it for a few hours last night and I must say with your mods in place it really woke this thing up!This just might be my new favorite amp.

Back
Top Bottom