AU-D11II replacement side panels

LWB

I’ve now made a second set of replacement side panels for my Sansui AU-D11II amps. I took photos through the process in case this is of interest to others with this amp and who may have the tools to do the job.

The side panels on the AU-D11II are particle board clad with plastic wood-grained laminate. The laminate is not as hard as formica, and the particle board is not a very robust material, so these side panels are easy to damage. I have two of these amps. The first I bought as a basket case. It had been dropped, and wet, and the side panels were completely trashed. My second amp was perfect until the ebayer I bought it from shipped it without proper packing protection. Witness the blunted corner in the first photo.

The particle board sides must have been problematic even for Sansui, because the company introduced a late-production re-enforcement bracket for the attachment of the heavy transformer to the side panel (third item from the right in photo 4). These panels must have been failing in shipment, much as this one in my second photo had, even with the new bracket. Basically, the transformer attachment bracket tears out of the ruptured particle board.

For my replacement panels, I obtained oak butcherblock panels and cut them to 382mm x 147mm. I planed mine to 22mm thick, which is a more substantial look than the original Sansui panels.

Removing the attachment brackets from the Sansui side panels is a destructive process. A table saw is handy to cut away a lot of the particle board and makes it easy to get the ABS brackets apart using a chisel. Measure everything; lay out your dimensions on paper and note hole diameters and locations for the cutting and drilling attachment points on the new panels. A drill press is handy, but not essential.

See next post for part 2 and additional photos

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 109
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 99
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 101
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
AU-D11II replacement side panels - part 2

I made my oak panels as near identical to the particle board originals as I could, so that external dimensions would be the same (although my panels are wider, their side profile is correct to original dimensions). I also drilled mounting holes to properly fit the male posts on the ABS brackets (see photos). Sansui made the ABS brackets with male posts that fit female holes in the side panels; they also glued the brackets, and there were wood screws holding the brackets on, as well. For particle board, these three modes of attachment were necessary for strength. For oak, a strong material, this may be overkill; but it does make for very precise assembly - if you’re careful in your measurements.

I made one small error in my first set; I cut the 45 degree bevel at each lower front corner a little too aggressively. One or two mm less would have been perfect, and it occurred to me later that I needn’t have cut them at all. As this is a visible part, be especially careful here.

I’ve made one set in glossy varnish finish; the second set are an oiled natural finish. The last photo shows my first amp with its new side panels.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 471
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 95
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 100
Outstanding job. I finally found a matching tuner with good wood sides. These sides are not as durable as real wood.

A great color... superb Hi-gloss finish work... looks very elegant. I would be very proud to display this piece. Don't be surprised if some members start sending you PM's about doing a set for them!

Scott T.

Second amp with matt Danish Oil finish

This set is a natural oiled finish that is more like a satin look, perhaps more in keeping with the satin finish of the black front panel.

Attachments

• Amp 2a.jpg
    Amp 2a.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 67
Lovely work! I really like your first effort in particular with the darker colouration, but they both look great.

Digging up an old thread here. Where did you get the butcher block panels you mentioned? How thick were they before you planed them down? Are you making any more of these? If I ever get around to restoring my amp, I might be interested in a set.

Lee.

Digging up an old thread here. Where did you get the butcher block panels you mentioned? How thick were they before you planed them down? Are you making any more of these? If I ever get around to restoring my amp, I might be interested in a set.

Lee.

I was looking at the same thread. Looks like the forum is awash with all this D11 mk2 discussion. I am starting my 10hr round trip to go pick up mine today :)

Lee.
12.jpg Amp 2a.jpg
I made two sets from salvaged wood. I had some old oak hardwood flooring that I laminated up, planed and cut to dimension. My sides are thicker than the factory laminated particle board: 23mm instead of 18mm. That 5mm difference is subtle but significant, it looks more substantial. One set I finished with multiple coats of glossy polyurethane; the second I did in Danish Oil. Apologies for the difference in my photo color balance!

I'd love to see a set in laminated bamboo, wouldn't that be appropriate?

I should add that I used salvaged lumber that was stable and uniform in moisture content. Very important. Sansui used particle board covered with plastic laminate because particle board is dimensionally stable even if atmospheric humidity varies widely. Real wood changes in dimension with moisture content, so uniform dryness in wood used in a project like this is very important. Once sealed with a finish, the real wood should remain stable. The last thing you want is variation in shrinkage or expansion as the wood equilibrates to atmospheric conditions. It's been seven years since I made the first set and I haven't had any problems with them.

Beautiful, but you cannot just exchange end pieces since you have to change the hardware that holds the amplifier together and reassemble it too.

Marc

Beautiful, but you cannot just exchange end pieces since you have to change the hardware that holds the amplifier together and reassemble it too.
That is explained in this thread, and this quote is from my very first entry: "Removing the attachment brackets from the Sansui side panels is a destructive process. A table saw is handy to cut away a lot of the particle board and makes it easy to get the ABS brackets apart using a chisel."

I should add that I used salvaged lumber that was stable and uniform in moisture content. Very important. Sansui used particle board covered with plastic laminate because particle board is dimensionally stable even if atmospheric humidity varies widely. Real wood changes in dimension with moisture content, so uniform dryness in wood used in a project like this is very important. Once sealed with a finish, the real wood should remain stable. The last thing you want is variation in shrinkage or expansion as the wood equilibrates to atmospheric conditions. It's been seven years since I made the first set and I haven't had any problems with them.

I have solid maple board sitting in my garage for 3 years. Would that qualify as a weathered piece of wood?

Back
Top Bottom