AU Switching Problem Located ...

lorne

Sonic Lizard
... but not yet fixed on my AU Alpha 707Extra. And I am wondering if others such as maybe the 717 owners have the same situation. The focus here is on the mode selection panel (ie source, CD, Phono etc.).

The mode selection panel has squarish push-buttons. So instead of rotary sweepers and so on, buttons on a board send impulses to another board on the right side of the case. What exactly happens here I don't know, but on the back wall, on the right is a case containing a servo motor with a nylon drive gear. This gear engages a pinion. The pinion is attached to a small belt- drive wheel. A small round section belt transmits motion to a smaller wheel at the very rear of the amp. I cannot see beyond that without dismantling the amp, but it is fair to say that mechanical switched are being moved by some sort of cam.

The belt is stretched. It's old and tired, so most of the time it is not pulling. Thus seletion is either U/S or erratic.

Well, problem located. But the solution is finding a tiny drive belt. Does anyone have experience with this? This will be my first experience in sourcing proprietory parts or replacement value in a Sansui. What's the score. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Best to all ...
PS: I never thought I would fondly remember rotary contact switches.

Back
Top Bottom