AU-X11 reconditioning

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by Hyperion, Mar 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ghamilton

ghamilton Super Member

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Fredrik 1977

Fredrik 1977 Super Member

Superb work!

Hyperion and BLAH BLAH like this.
  3. Ronito6

Ronito6 Super Member

[​IMG]

BLAH BLAH, SanthoshA and Hyperion like this.
  4. Overundr1

Overundr1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

That board is a work of art sir.

BLAH BLAH, Hyperion and SanthoshA like this.
  5. SanthoshA

SanthoshA Active Member

Really nice work John !
    The amp is in good hands, keep it going .

The use of the short and fat electrolytics is much appreicitated, this area gets covered by the flat metal panel that there is hardly any space for airflow .

I believe there are couple of holes in the left and right chassis but this section of the amp gets heated easily due to restricted air flow.

BLAH BLAH and Hyperion like this.
  6. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

It seems I have been remiss, judging by the reception my post with the pictures got, I must post more!

Thank you all for the appreciative comments and likes. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018

7. smurfer77

smurfer77 Super Member

John, as my amp work has stalled (with three AU-X11 in the to-do list) I'm living vicariously through you. More nudes please!

BLAH BLAH and Hyperion like this.
  8. Hyperion

LOL - I see what I can do. ;)

BLAH BLAH, Fredrik 1977 and smurfer77 like this.
  9. Hyperion

I got the second of the 2 driver assemblies completed yesterday, today I installed it and powered the amplifier on for a check of DC offset & bias after many component changes. On DBT (and step-down) for first power up of course - all fine, so switched to full mains (via step down transformer). And it checks out as expected. :thumbsup:

I make that:-
    103 Capacitors
    8 Resistors
    10 Trimmers
    8 Relays
    26 Diodes

Next up:- the Flat Amp and the Interconnect PCB.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  10. ManyMoonsAudio

ManyMoonsAudio AKA paul79 Sponsor Subscriber

Nicely done. I have one of these here to do myself. Should be a fun one ;)

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  11. Hyperion

One thing I noticed was the same issue I faced on the AU-X1 - which is the inability to set the +/- 11V output of the regulators on the main regulated PSU. One allowed a maximum of +/-10.32V and the other was +/- 10.45V - I will make the same changes on this X11 that I performed on my own X1 to make this possible, I changed R17, 5.6KΩ to 3.9KΩ in two positions on F-3463 PSU which worked very nicely.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018

12. Ronito6

Ronito6 Super Member

[​IMG]

BLAH BLAH, SanthoshA and Hyperion like this.
  13. Hyperion

I got the Flat Amp completed, the Interconnect Board relay made up and installed, and the M Kuehne Flat Amp stability mod installed (just in case). Switch cleaning done and careful re-installation of the Flat Amp//Interconnect Board combination now in progress, I just need to install the Flat Amp trimmers (on the track side of the board). A blown indicator bulb has been replaced, and the resistor value changes on the Main Regulated PSU are complete.

I think I'm going to give it a listen before the last main job which is the PSU/Protection board, one of, if not the most, difficult boards in the whole amplifier. (for the vast number of connections to it, too many being soldered and not plug & socket).

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  14. Hyperion

Here is a picture of the Flat Amp, and below it the Interface Board before any component changes, Above you can see the sleeved resistors on the Regulated PSU.
    IMG_2346a.jpg

And another of the re-assembled front panel, you can just see the track side mounted Bourns trimmers showing just peeping up above the lower edge of the large opening. Now you can see the reason why I was very keen to have those PSU resistors sleeved. Note the cable-form stretching from left to right, reducing in groups of three as they find their connection points on the regulated PSU, running very close to those resistors.
    IMG_2349a.jpg

Note also the use of a spare (White) LED in the protection light socket to the left - so I can see it flashing and going steady while I check things over. (Note the standard protection LED is glued to the front panel as with many Sansui's - and sometimes you need to work without the front panel installed).

I have been able to adjust the +/-11V spot on now, and the Flat Amp is very quiet and has very low DC offset drift - pleased with that. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  15. Overundr1

Overundr1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Those pictures do make one wonder how Sansui managed to continue to produce amps such as this with the amount of manual labor involved, the level of assembly detail makes me think of the original stereo tube amplifier manufacturers in the early 60's.
    Will be interesting when you run it up against your 919 sir.

Boris B, BLAH BLAH and Hyperion like this.
  16. Hyperion

I'm pretty sure it will be close, I still have in my memory how marvellous AK member Multimode's AU-919 turned out after I had finished it, it was noticeably better than my own! This is my next project (among many) to perform the same tweaks to my AU-919 learned here from you clever lot out there in AK Internet land. :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    BLAH BLAH, Multimode and SanthoshA like this.

17. Hyperion

I posted this in another thread when clarifying how to fabricate the signal relays - but here is a picture of one of the MC Head Amps after component changes. I slightly increased the voltage of the 4 larger electrolytics shown below so I could choose a form factor that had the correct lead spacing.

IMG_2351a.jpg

Note also small electrolytics at the top left edge of the board (only one visible) where I would have fitted Film capacitors, as they were 1µF, 50V, but there simply wasn't enough room because of the enormous (red) film capacitor - so Nichicon FG's were used.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  18. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff"

And to think I just warned another member today about having to be very cautious about the ides of taking on his X1, which kevzep reiterated. I'll be honest to say that I kind of slid through most of the written parts and just looked at the pretty pictures. ;)

BLAH BLAH and slimecity like this.
  19. Hyperion

I'm having a listen to this AU-X11 now, absolutely superb, - I still have the PSU/Protector board to recondition - but that shouldn't alter what I am hearing now. I just got itchy to hear this beast after such a lot of work done to it, changing the speaker relays might make a v.small difference.

To do:-
    Work on PSU/Protector board.
    Change speaker relays.
    Change speaker terminals.
    +a few other small jobs - like fixing the stripped threads in the MM & MC head amp heatsinks, due to over-enthusiastic screw tightening. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    smurfer77, SanthoshA and Ronito6 like this.
  20. Ronito6

Ronito6 Super Member

[​IMG]

Hyperion and SanthoshA like this.