AU2000 vs AU11000

ferlez007

Hi:

Let me first congratulate the site for its very valuable content and guidance.

I have always been a Sansui fan, and have had around 10 different Sansui componentes from the AU717 generation some years back.

I took the Hi-End route and currently using a quite nice Hi-End gear but not having so much fun (sounds familiar ?)

I would like now to consider the very venerable AU20000 or 11000(a?) and start from there a second system, please let me know your thoughts about their sonic differences, availability and other considerations.

Best Regards

Fernando Lezama (Mexico)

You can probably find them on Ebay but it might take while, there usually arent many of them available at the same time, and so you can expect to have some competition in the bidding. Since the AU-20K has more power (170W), it will be more expensive to buy than AU-11K.

You can think of the AU-20K as a combination BA-3000 power amp/CA-3000 preamp and the AU-11K as a combo BA-2000/CA-2000.

You can also look thru the Archived messages for more Info on the topic.

B/F

Thanks for the info B/F, I will be checking eBAY .. what about a 9900??, are there sonic differences besides output power?

What spkrs do you recommend for this amps? I recall great things from a pair of JBL L100 or L65 by then....

Hi Fernando:

You asked a few questions but its difficult to provide answers unless you can provide more background information. For example, you ask about availability, but you dont write where you intend to buy a Sansui you would be interested in - will you be looking on Ebay, or are you looking only in Mexico where you live? Is it very expensive, or are there any other issues when it comes to buying in the U.S. and having it shipped to Mexico?

You also ask about sonic differences, but you didnt mention what your impressions were with the Sansui models you used to own. You mentioned you owned an AU-717, well- how did that model sound to you? And how did the other Sansui models you had, sound? To your ears, could you distinguish any significant differences in sound quality between them?

I think the AU-717 is an exellent amp, and it was a very popular seller for the company. You would have an easier time finding a 717 on Ebay than the 20000 or 9900, though I imagine if you are patient, it should not be that long for atleast a 9900 to become available.

As for speakers, there are many different brands and models to choose from. In my case, I like Infinity. Here's a nice vintage Infinity site: www.bobbyshred.com/infinity.html

B/F

I primirely buy on eBAY in the US, and ship it via FedEX or similar to Mexico, it is not that expensive, at least for a +500 US gear.

I also use to go evry two months or so to our corporate office in Redwood Shores, CA, sometimes I ask the items to be shipped there and once I got to our offices I bring it with me or ship it personnaly to Mexico.

Now, for sonics and how I liked my old Sansui amos, I must tell I really liked the 717 and 517, rounded, rythmic and dynamic. Some other friends used to have Pioneer or Kenwood, but I used to like the Sansui sound. I remember having ADS, Technics and Ohm (ESS) speakers with them.

Other vintage gear that I liked were SAE, I also had some of them I enjoyed them inmensely.

Of course I also had McIntosh, but it was another steo in price.

Not sure if I would go back to another 717 again, maybe a 9900 or a 11000 will make it, or a 919 .. not sure....

Mexico's FM quality and content is not that good (at least for my musical tastes, so I don't see myself bying a tuner in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom