Au719

Lonnie

Hi, new to this board. Can anyone give me info on a Sansui AU719 amp? Were these good? What power rating? When were they manufactured? Any bad points? I picked up a Vector Research 10 band EQ, and I have a pair of old dbx 250 watt 5 way speakers. Did I do good, or will this combo be disappointing? Dissapointing is a subjective opinion, I'm not an extreme audiophile, I know some things about audio, but I'm not happy with mass merchant- style audio i.e. the stuff Best Buy sells. The amp was at a repair shop for cleaning/check-up and I'm paying for it over time because I saw it, thought it was awesome and had a hunch this was a good one, but didn't have the money right away (2 out of 3 of my kids got braces this month) so I owe a few more dollars yet and I'm trying to get a feel for what I'm doing. Thanks for any info!

Hi Lonnie:

The AU-719 is rated 90 Watts and was introduced by Sansui in 1979. Its two models down from the top model of that Line, the AU-919.

While I cant vouch for the Eq & speakers, I can say that the Sansui amp is Excellent, however it is 25 years old, so it would be helpful to have whoever you bought it from, go thru the amp and make sure everything is in good working order. Also, see if he can give you an idea of what its previous ownership history is if possible (unless that sort've thing is not that important to you- perhaps who youre getting it from doesnt know, but hey- doesnt hurt to ask. Chances are the amp will have been better maintained if it was with one owner thru the years, as opposed to changing hands numerous times.

I recall it was about...., 3years ago, one of my coworkers found an AU-719 that was left out on the street with the garbage, and he took it home and said that it seemed to work fine despite being a little banged up. It so happens I had gone out to lunch earlier that day and had walked by where he said the amp was, but I didnt notice it there, oh well.... :)

B/F

Thanks for the info. Any idea what the THD is? The guy I'm buying it from had it there for "a cleaning" and he mentioned he knew the previous owner. Stange thing is, I saw a bill on the unit when I first asked about it, it was for a cleaning and check-up, and the amount due was $65. If the item wasn't picked up within 30 days, the customer lost it, which I'm assuming was the case. I can't believe someone would let this beauty go over $65! I'm paying $200, though (still owe him $75). Think that was too much?

I would suggest that's a fair price. As you note, it has been in for a check-over, and you've got some little bit of history on the unit.
Check Ebay's completed auctions for Sansui, and keep in mind the weight of your amp makes shipping a chore and a real added cost (probably $25-30, depending on the distance, etc.).
Hey, welcome to AK and the world of vintage solid state gear!

Back
Top Bottom