au919 or 9090

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by cantonkid, Mar 15, 2019.

?

what would you pic

Poll closed Mar 17, 2019.
  1. au919

16 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. 9090

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. cantonkid

cantonkid AK Subscriber Subscriber

ok more questions and polls

Please register to disable this ad.

2. hatrack71

hatrack71 distracted by everything

AU-919 would be my choice. That was my favorite era of Sansui.

3. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

For me AU-919 every time, but eventual choice might depend for others on available space, and their need/requirement for a tuner.

Other things might also come into play, the rather dour looking black faced AU-919 (part of its attraction for me :bowdown: ), vs the glitzy lit up face of a large receiver is irresistible for some people. :king:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  4. llwhtt

llwhtt Super Member

AU-919 for me too, I don't do receivers.

5. stopkidding

stopkidding AK Subscriber Subscriber

is the AU 919 on the "still safe to acquire" list due to its unobtainable parts that may blow up? There is one near me for not that much dough....

6. Hipocrates

Hipocrates Anti-Muppet Subscriber

I would think so, the most dificult part to get is the outputs, but you can get them NOS (expensive) or adapt TO-3P... Servicing it on the other hand seems better to be left to very experienced techs.

7. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

Nor do I. :)
    If it has already been 'blown up', and repaired, it is unlikely to have original OP transistors - thought by many to give the AU-919 its special sound.

This amplifier is really special, if misguided folk continue to use one in original condition, then oblivion for the unobtanium OP transistors is only a footstep away. Although with some difficulty, conversion to TO-3P alternative OP transistors, can/will restore that lost 'something'.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    stopkidding likes this.
  8. cantonkid

the 919 hasn't been blown up yet , have a few issues still as in the selector switch.. when changing it up or down it has popping noises and after warm up say 2 hours i hear a slight ground noise , like a hissing hum ,hows that for tech talk lol . phono section recapped , power board recapped , eq board recapped , all black flags changed even tho only 2 were bad . the power transistors were replaced also . this amp sounds amazing just need to get these few bugs out of it, not myself a tech will have it back soon .

9. lbcgav

lbcgav AK Subscriber Subscriber

I was having popping issues coming from the flat amp. The small transistors give problems and probably should be replaced wholesale. Here's Hyperion's instructions:

bolero and cantonkid like this.
  10. stereofanboy

stereofanboy AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've had an AU-919 and an 8080 and heard someone else's 9090DB. I sure wish I had the 919 back.

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  11. cantonkid

once i get all the bugs out of the 919 i might keep it, kinda discouraged with all they little problems that keep popping up , no pun intended lol ,

BLAH BLAH likes this.

12. SARTORE

SARTORE New Member

I don't want to promote any commercial activity here but.... It seems that an AK member, Kale, is selling some AU-919 NOS parts thru that famous online shopping site.

Between the two of them ? Never heard the AU-919 but I believe they might sound like the Japanese Alphas so, in this case, it's just perfect sound ! IMHO.

cantonkid and BLAH BLAH like this.