Auction in Roundup, Mont.-1950's store

JonTee

Here is a story I heard on NPR. There is a family owned grocery store in Roundup, Montana, that was closed in 1952 with all the items for sale still in it. It's been that way for 50 years! All the remaining heirs are now gone and it and all the contents are being put up for auction today.

The store was left just as if they were closing for the day and didn't return until 50 years later. Even the heat was left on according to the auctioneer!

Jon

NPR has been known to "exaggerate" alittle in their broadcasts.

If food was left out, the stuff would have rotted and stunk up the place real bad.

Mice, rats, bugs would have taken over the place!

Everyone in the city and city officials would just let it go for 50 years?? Not paying any taxes ?? Would have been sold for taxes due long ago, as abandoned property.

Government gets it's share you know!

That may be, Shain, however, this was an interview with the auctioneer.

The auctioneer was out of Billings and according to him, the place was mess with mice, insects, and so forth. Canned goods were still on the shelves, and dry goods hanging the walls. I imagine anything of obvious value had already been removed by the family years ago.

Sounded like a remote small town; about the only way something like this could happen.

Also, the auction might be to recover those taxes you mentioned;)

Jon

That's what I call "good junk"! My grandparents had one of those Coca-Cola santas they put on the porch every year.
Brad

Hello, I hail from Billings, Montana where the auctio was held and I can say first hand that this story of the little store in livingston , Mt is in fact true.

Back
Top Bottom