Audio Anonymous

SVI2004A

Synchro Bias
Hi I am Baily and I am addicted to buying Technics SU-V4X amplifiers... bought 2 just today... can't seem to stop. ( 5 in the last 4 months)

Is there anyone else out there that can't stop buying certain pieces of equipment?
Do share (or am I the only one addicted)

About two years ago, I had need/want of a physically small power amp and set my sights on a Toshiba SC335. I confined my looking locally because in Canada, an e-bay purchase involves currency exchange and shipping. I did not want one that badly and anyway, the need passed. But last spring, I spotted one in a thrift store for cheap and bought it. Both meters were dead so I found brand new ones from the UK. A slight enlargement of the bezel hole, transferred the meter scales and voila. Completely recapped it and replaced a few transistors as recommended by a contributor on another forum. Then thought I should get a matching preamp. One of those came up on CL for a few bucks and it too got a complete re-cap, plus metal film resistors resistors and new op-amp in the phono srction. Problem was, the seller gave me another power amp so it also got the same treatment as the first minus the meters which were fine. Now, with two power amps and one pre, another pre was required. Last June, someone was selling a power/pre/tuner stack for $20 at an electronics garage sale. Someone beat me to it but all he wanted was the tuner and sold me the power/pre for $30. Gave them both the same refurbishment but now there are three power amps and two pre-amps. Another pre-amp came up on CL. I picked that up but resisted temptation and passed on yet another power amp he wanted to sell me, So now I have three pairs of Toshiba SC335/SY335's that I really have no need of. They sound really good and look very nice all stacked together but I will not realize what I've invested if/when I decide to sell them.

Some people have hobbies, I have obsessions. I went through a similar acquisition phase with speakers, 8 track recorders, then reel to reels. Farther back still, it was one particular pattern of depression glass.

There are a few Marantz models ive boubht multiples of. the 1060 integrated amps and 140 power amps.

There are a few Marantz models ive boubht multiples of. the 1060 integrated amps and 140 power amps.
So Lavane, I've got a line on a Marantz 3600 preamplifier coming up for sale. I have no justifiable need for one but I'm still intrigued. What would you think of the 3600pre / 140 amp combination?

I had a 3600, as well. Many people like it. The only real problem with it is if the op-amp dies there is no direct replacement. Some rewiring and parts swaps are needed to put something newer in it. a 140 would work fine, thats what I ran with the 3600. The reason I got rid of it is I prefer the earlier models, pre '75.
The earlier stuff still had the Marantz sound. So it was just my personal taste that made me pass it on. I wound up getting a model 33 and model 16 power amp. Then a 3200 pre for the 140, only because I wanted matching systems.

I had a 3600, as well. Many people like it. The only real problem with it is if the op-amp dies there is no direct replacement. Some rewiring and parts swaps are needed to put something newer in it. a 140 would work fine, thats what I ran with the 3600. The reason I got rid of it is I prefer the earlier models, pre '75.
The earlier stuff still had the Marantz sound. So it was just my personal taste that made me pass it on. I wound up getting a model 33 and model 16 power amp. Then a 3200 pre for the 140, only because I wanted matching systems.
Yeah, I'll be passing on it anyways because I've got a surplus of gear as it is. Same seller has a pair of Wharfedale W70's that I'm "interested" in, don't really need those either but...

Hiya Baily and Everyone, I am Sam. I also have the Technics bug. At one stage I had an obsession with speakers and grew quite a large collection, till had to thin it out. I have to admit also the V4X is extremely good, though I like also the big block Technics also like the v8 and V8x and V9. Atm i am awaiting a tuner from the UK, and feel sick, cause I think they have lost it

Back
Top Bottom