Audio Classic and McIntosh Boxes

jtomko

Do you people with little storage space save the boxes set up or broken down?
Not in a postion to sell but things change when you want newer or different gear.
For me if I buy McIntosh equipment I always tell the seller if they do not have McIntosh boxes I will send them some. I had received a MAC1900 in a box with peanuts floating around by USPS with no damage. When I sold it I made a wood framed box to bolt it to and another box around that with cushioning.
Pros and cons of keeping box or disposing it?

Absolutely, I make certain to retain the shipping boxes. Replacement boxes from McIntosh or Audio Classics are pretty pricey. When looking at pre-owned Mac components, I will not even consider units that do not have the original packaging materials included. I see a lack of boxes as a negative impact on resale value and the speed at which the component would move on the used market.

They do take up a lot of room, I have all mine at work, piled up in our storage area....
But never sell them or break them down, if you move house you need them.....not just for the resale, as if I am ever going to sell my MC452 anyway....

I think I am going to throw a table cloth over my MC452 box and use it as a card table when the boys come over. I think we should be able to seat about a dozen of us comfortably!
Seriously, I will keep my boxes come hell or high water for the reasons already specified. Their size alone does make it an investment to retain them.

Re-purpose them for other storage. Great place to store spare plastic peanuts for shipping equipment you never plan to see again and don't really care what they look like at the other end ... <G>

Truth be told, mine are full of other boxes, now that I think on it. You can fit a LOT of other boxes in a couple XR16 speaker crates.

Never use to but, nowadays see'en that ya can't just drive behind grocery and department stores and get a load of boxes
I do keep the original ones, specially the packing materials and I do break them down if possible. At my age and the moving
I've done ya just never know when you may have to move again for reasons beyond your control. I spent way too much money
on boxes this last move and won't be making that mistake any time soon again.
Besides Original packaging will always increase the value of vintage equipment or
near to be vintage.

I keep 'em and don't break them down as then I'd have loose inner sections I'd have to figure out how to contain.

Yeah, that take up a LOT of space but if I ever need to ship one of my McGear units I have the right package to do so. And if I ever put any McGear up for sale, smart sbuyers want those boxes and they are worth some money as part of the deal.

They are all up in the attic except the two 207 and MX 151 Boxes. I need the 151 Box when I need the Mic cable and Mic stand. the two 207 boxes won't fit thru the attic access panel.

When you don't have a Box to return your Mac piece, get the box from AC, most boxes they use have twice the puncture and separation strength of the Mac boxes. I couldn't believe the poor quality of the Box my new MP 100 was delivered in from the factory. I have sent a lot of boxes to and from AC while working at a Mcintosh dealer and my own personal stuff over 20 years. The are definitly the best packers in the business.

Last edited:
I store all my audio boxes on a large storage shelf up in my garage; need a ladder to get there.
My wife gives me a hard time about keeping boxes for anything EXCEPT Mc boxes. She knows how valuable and necessary they are for moving and resale.

With these boxes costing $75+ to replace, I keep mine if I have them.

Thanks. Have the inner box for the Mac4100 but the outer was flooded by Irma. Will make an effort to save.

Absolutely save all boxes. That's a must for me. No matter what the brand. Have my JBL boxes sitting on the pallet they were shipped on in the basement.

I let my friends borrow them so they have to store them for me! I have one that has shipped an MC 2100, 2120 and a 2200...

Back
Top Bottom