Audio Community Phrases or Sayings that Make You Cringe.....

CL sellers that say,"All it needs is a ____, they are available cheap on ebay". Ok, fix it and I'll add the difference for the thing being nice now. Callin' yer bluff, Buddy.

Garage sale items that are marked as retail (like $5 - $10 records) and they get insulted when you try to haggle 'em down to reality. Puh-leeze!

By the way, there was an entire, ridiculously tense thread concerning "Vinyl/Vinyls" some time back. If you'd like to relive it I recommend a tip-toe through that insanity. More power to you, but not me. Besides, it's vinyl in all cases but not ever when speaking of recordings; the 12" flat thingies are LPs (although the magazine ads did say that such & such's new album was available now on Big Company records wherever fine music is sold, also available on 8-track and cassette).

NOS tubes.

Anyone ever in their life bought any that did not claim to have great mids? Seriously. It's as if the cheaper the tube, the better the mids claims. Starting point in the tube's characteristics start with say a vintage Mullard. And, of course, the claims go up from there on about any brand.

Some people have almost zero humor I am afraid.

Humor is highly illogical you know.

Frannie

I'm new person - kinda, so maybe I shouldn 't. Oh, what the heck:

/ .. / -.-. .- -. / .-. . .- -.. / .. - / .-.-.- / ... --- / .-- .... .- - / .. ... / - .... . / --- -... .--- . -.-. - / - --- / .-- .... .. -.-. .... / .. / .- -- / .. --- --- / -.-. .-.. --- ... . /... --- .../

/ .. / -.-. .- -. / .-. . .- -.. / .. - / .-.-.- / ... --- / .-- .... .- - / .. ... / - .... . / --- -... .--- . -.-. - / - --- / .-- .... .. -.-. .... / .. / .- -- / .. --- --- / -.-. .-.. --- ... . /... --- .../
Translates " I CAN READ IT . SO WHAT IS THE OBJECT TO WHICH I AM IOO CLOSE SOS " __:crazy:__:dunno:

Oh, piffle. The last three were supposed to be:: / - --- --- / -.-. .-.. --- ... . / .. -- .. / :oops: ("too close ?")

It is a reply to buglegirl's signature - code for 'If you can read this you are too close."

My apologies for posting off topic. After hitting post reply I realized I should have started a new thread. My bad.

"Hear it the way the musician intended" (or hear it the way they heard it listening to the final mix)

I don't imagine many musicians give a fat rat's ass if you "tweak" (eg EQ) the playback to your taste. They want you to buy the music, listen to it, and enjoy it. In any case, we don't know exactly what they heard, and a tweak might get us closer to, or further from, perfect fidelity. We'll never know.

Another one:

"It's the holy grail!"

Oh, piffle. The last three were supposed to be:: / - --- --- / -.-. .-.. --- ... . / .. -- .. / :oops: ("too close ?")

It is a reply to buglegirl's signature - code for 'If you can read this you are too close."

My apologies for posting off topic. After hitting post reply I realized I should have started a new thread. My bad.
You have never seen a bumper sticker like so ??

if_you_can_read_this_your_boat_is_too_close_bumper_sticker-rc13886c6c0d44f918e562509f4be8013_v9wht_8byvr_630.jpg

Frannie

Just seen this one this morning:
"Integrated amplifier for sale. Every function works, except the volume. It produces NO SOUND"

Isn't producing sound the main point of an amplifier? Maybe if the lights don't work, or a couple function buttons don't work. Alright, just minor inconvenience but NO sound? Maybe someone could buy it, plug it in, switch it on, and IMAGINE how good their favorite CD/tape/LP would sound... I couldn't do that simply because my imagination sucks.

Was this a CL ad? It reminds me of those car ads on CL that say, "Everything works great except the engine is blown." Maybe a tow truck could drag around the car while the lucky owner listens to the radio and turn on the wipers if it happens to be raining....
If a machine or piece of electrical equipment cannot perform it's MAIN job, it is basically junk.

Nope, haven't seen that one.
Question - I clicked "reply" (or thought I had) on your post and the above popped up with no way to type a response. Did I miss something or is that the way this site handles replies to a post?

"I read on the internet that..."(fill in your own here, usually about a defect someone is trying to downplay).

Last edited:
Ds2000 said
I read on the internet
First mistake...:p
is to not ignore everything in this thread. Unfortunately, I already all 17 pages so that's time I'll never get back. :(

Back
Top Bottom