Audio Community Phrases or Sayings that Make You Cringe.....

Dampen/dampening. Unless you're actually making something wet you're damping.

damp·en
ˈdampən/
verb
gerund or present participle: dampening
  1. 1.
    make slightly wet.
    "the fine rain dampened her face"
    synonyms: moisten, damp, wet, dew, water;
    literarybedew
    "the rain dampened her face"
    antonyms: dry
  2. 2.
    make less strong or intense.
    "nothing could dampen her enthusiasm"
    synonyms: lessen, decrease, diminish, reduce, moderate, damp, put a damper on, throw cold water on, cool, discourage, disincentivize; More

antonyms: heighten

Isn't producing sound the main point of an amplifier? Maybe if the lights don't work, or a couple function buttons don't work. Alright, just minor inconvenience but NO sound? Maybe someone could buy it, plug it in, switch it on, and IMAGINE how good their favorite CD/tape/LP would sound... I couldn't do that simply because my imagination sucks.

Was this a CL ad? It reminds me of those car ads on CL that say, "Everything works great except the engine is blown." Maybe a tow truck could drag around the car while the lucky owner listens to the radio and turn on the wipers if it happens to be raining....
If a machine or piece of electrical equipment cannot perform it's MAIN job, it is basically junk.

Yes, it was an ad on Craigslist in either Columbus or Cleveland for an integrated amplifier. Might still be listed.

'Audiophile' annoys me.

Records, tapes, and CDs should be considered 'Vintage Audio-files'.

Stereo fanatics have a "condition", and the correct term for someone with "the sickness" SHOULD be audiophiliac. There is no known cure, and treatments are generally expensive, as compared to many other sicknesses one might come down with. (GOLFERS, I'm talking about YOU! Hit a ball, so you can walk to it and hit it again?? Talk about a strange hobby!?)

I find that OTHER terms which can/may annoy me can change somewhat from day to day, depending on my mood, and the general amount of thought someone puts into expressing their opinions and/or asking their questions.

Last edited:
damp·en
ˈdampən/
verb
gerund or present participle: dampening
  1. 1.
    make slightly wet.
    "the fine rain dampened her face"
    synonyms: moisten, damp, wet, dew, water;
    literarybedew
    "the rain dampened her face"
    antonyms: dry
  2. 2.
    make less strong or intense.
    "nothing could dampen her enthusiasm"
    synonyms: lessen, decrease, diminish, reduce, moderate, damp, put a damper on, throw cold water on, cool, discourage, disincentivize; More

antonyms: heighten
Unless they're really referring to:

damp·ing
ˈdampiNG/
noun
noun: damping; noun: damping off; plural noun: dampings off
  1. 1.
    technical
    a decrease in the amplitude of an oscillation as a result of energy being drained from the system to overcome frictional or other resistive forces.
    • a mechanism or system for bringing about damping.
    • a method of bringing about a decrease in oscillatory peaks in an electric current or voltage using an energy-absorbing or resistance circuit.
  2. 2.
    short for damping-off.

To go back many pages: I undestand the word plinth to mean the box or enclosure that the turntable is mounted in, whereas the base could be either the box or it could be the platform that the platter and arm (and maybe the motor) are mounted to (or hang from). Nowadays the two are often the same thing - a slab of medite or a plastic casting - but there are a lot of older turntables that have two distinct parts.
I am glad to have seen the explanation of 'tube rolling' - there is an actual reason for the term, even if the application is a bit loose.
I thought we had Linn, not Naim, to thank for PRaT (though in the 70s they were joined at the hip so the distinction may be meaningless). I actually think its a useful term, though it seems to me to apply more to big idler drive table's presentation of records than it does to most uses.

"The speakers don't sound good unless you feed them several hundred watts....the more the better"

Well, I guess 99% of audio receivers/amplifiers ever made won't make 'em sound good then.

Back
Top Bottom