Audio Community Phrases or Sayings that Make You Cringe.....

...it's so powerful, I can only stand it turned up to 3 (or some other random setting on the volume control)

I've used "It's in good shape for it's condition" a few times when selling less than well taken care of gear on CL. It was more of a joke and the people who were interested picked up on it.

I've been there, done that.

-As an argument
- Instead of helping, sharing past experience with poster.

My : friend, uncle, reviewer, etc. says he was hearing things, meaning that everyone should hear them.

Open-minded.

I think that takes the cake.

Last time I recall using it (a cable thread), "non-judgmental" was my meaning, and would have been more accurate if I'd given it just a little more thought. Perhaps I will next time I'm tempted, due to your post.

My pet peeve is probably not confined to audio ads.

"Serious enquiries only"

What do I have to do to prove that my cash is as serious as that of the next guy? When I'm looking to buy your massive, huge, gigantic, colossal collection of 150 CDs, to go with the 1500 I already bought, is my "enquiry" not "serious" enough?

Well, this one I can at least understand. This hobby has an inordinate number of tire kickers. Everytime I'm selling something online, all the no money kooks with a million bitchy questions and no serious way of buying are contacting me.
I'm not sure how effective 'serious inquiries only' is against the idiots, but I understand the motivation.

What really makes me cringe is when someone labels a cheap piece of equipment, that was bottom-of-the-line, as "the legend" on Ebay or Craigslist. Recently, on Ebay, I saw a listing for a 25 disc Fisher "studio standard" CD player, from like 1993, labeled as "the authoritative reference benchmark of CD players", with an asking price of $899.99 plus $60.00 shipping. I was laughing so hard, I had a hard time catching my breath and had to redo my mascara which ran down my cheeks. :rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

Back
Top Bottom