Audio Community Phrases or Sayings that Make You Cringe.....

Based on an ad I just read (paraphrased slightly):

''I'm not going to be heartbroken if this doesn't sell.I'm not even sure I want to sell''

So why the f**k are you wasting everybody's time??? When will you be sure that you want to sell?? This imbeciles head needs 9mm psychotherapy:)

"These sell all day on ebay for $XXX"

"Ads that quote ebay asking prices...not what the gear is actually selling for."

"I am selling for a friend who does not have a XXXX account."

"I just don't believe that tubes, source gear, DACs, preamps make a difference"

"Feeler"

What really makes me cringe is when someone labels a cheap piece of equipment, that was bottom-of-the-line, as "the legend" on Ebay or Craigslist. Recently, on Ebay, I saw a listing for a 25 disc Fisher "studio standard" CD player, from like 1993, labeled as "the authoritative reference benchmark of CD players", with an asking price of $899.99 plus $60.00 shipping. I was laughing so hard, I had a hard time catching my breath and had to redo my mascara which ran down my cheeks. :rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rflmao:

C'mon -- it said "studio standard" right on it! It's obviously got to be the very thing that they use in recording studios, and must therefore be . . . well, "reference benchmark" is not bad. ;)

Referring to bass ports as "blow holes". "air holes", etc. One guy on my local CL says that ports "release the bass", and refers to a pair of speakers with one woofer, two front tweeters and one rear tweeter as "4 way".

No, "base" is just the redneck way of saying "plinth." :D
c042.gif

Calling things like Logitech Z200/203; or similar levels of desktop/computer sperakers as "high end".

No.

No they are not. Please Craigslisters, stop.

Most desktop/computer speakers are truly dreadful and in no way approach anything to do with the "high end". However, speakers such as AudioEngine's A5+ are not bad.

It's a good pressing. It's a lifeless pressing. The remastered pressing isn't as good as the original.

Just a pretentious word for recording. Pressing refers to olive oil.

Untested.

Ads lacking model numbers and without adequate images.

I mostly agree but if you can deal with the possible waste of time and/or having to coach someone on how to read the number off the front of the unit some good deals can be had. A few months ago I got a C-2a/T-2/M-4 stack for less than two bills because the guy was too lazy to put model numbers in the ad.

Gotta say it...

Sparkle.

I'm probably just being old-fashioned, but it just doesn't sound right to me. If I ever put my Rega Saturn on Bartertown, I'll probably describe it as having "enough sparkle to start a forest fire".

It's a good pressing. It's a lifeless pressing. The remastered pressing isn't as good as the original.

Just a pretentious word for recording. Pressing refers to olive oil.
Not true. "Pressing" refers to a specific vinyl manufacturing run. "Recording" is a much more general term.

Edit: CDs are also "pressed" but CD sound varies by master and not pressing so the term "pressing" shouldn't be used for them.

Back
Top Bottom