Audio Community Phrases or Sayings that Make You Cringe.....

The "Not tested other than it powers up" BS. Hook up speakers, etc, see if it works! If not, bite the bullet and sell it for parts.
I was working out a deal on an amp that was 150 miles away. I was willing to drive there, IF it worked. It looked new, but there was a reason he said he didn't test it.
Cause the left channels output transistors are mismatched and it wont come out of protection. There's obvious soldering all over the main board and the PS looks like it was recapped a while ago.
The price was way too high for something I would have to ship out to fix and so I passed on it and bought a slightly lower power one that works 100% and just needs bulbs and a little cleanup to look great.
Those pretty meters will look great in my living room.

"Speakers, $300"
(implied: see blurry picture of black box of indeterminate size against black background in dark corner of unlit room)

Synergy.

Synergy = total lack of understanding why two pieces of gear work well together.

I can understand that definition, even though it's not really in my vocabulary.

That GX9ES that recently arrived SYNERGIZES with my speakers in a way that that old Yammy just doesn't (and this isn't humor or BS). I've never heard it all just sound so good and I have absolutely no idea why.

Also, your shitty black plastic gear from 1992 is not "vintage."

I refer to this era as neo-vintage as a way to differentiate from 70s and prior. Though all things considered, things in the 70s and prior are actually bordering on antiques at this point, and 'vintage', around 30 yrs old, would be an accurate term for stuff from the 80s and quickly approaching the 90s.

Face it folks, most of US are getting a little beyond vintage now and maybe fall more along the lines of antiques too. :D

"LED upgrade".

Speaking of LED upgrades and my aforementioned vintage (antique) Yamaha, it had a few bulbs out when I bought it, so I tried this with some wide dispersion, warm color temperature LEDs (even went as far as to try lighting the dial) and was left unimpressed - color temperature was perfect, but light dispersal was not near as accurate as the original incandescent lamps (too many shadows) - they were promptly replaced with a full set of standard bulbs.

It looked slightly better than presented in these grainy photos I took, but still not good enough to have it pass.

8A55650F-B5E9-40EF-8AB5-CCB132410961_zpsjkong7wk.jpg
E27A10AA-2A62-4C61-A703-6E36A47BB3AF_zpsmhxhalxx.jpg

"speakers blown." (usually the surrounds are gone)
"12" subs" - as previously mentioned
Car audio guys and their myopic view of audio only being that used in automobiles and not qualifying things like amps and speakers as for car use.
Speaking of car audio, what the hell is "competition"?

OK, this post is simply things that get said a lot of times in the audio community that just get on your nerves, are overuses, or just plain wrong.

--the overuse of the word "Vintage"

Yeah this one is tops on my list. I really hate to see it in conjunction with an ad for an 8-Track player since it would be obvious in 99% of cases that an 8-Track is of course of Vintage age.

"180 watts!!!"
(Source: model plate on back of receiver/power amp/integrated amp showing power consumption.)

That reminds me of high school where it seemed whoever had the highest rated power consumption on the back had the best ghettoblaster.

That reminds me of high school where it seemed whoever had the highest rated power consumption on the back had the best ghettoblaster.
That's sort of like the people selling Victrolas that claim that they are from 1901 or whatever because they found a 1901 patent date somewhere on it. I see that fairly often.

I can't say I'm particularly cringed when I read the word Vintage, as it's served well from time to time when searching for Vintage speakers. However, when the seller uses it expecting that it somehow means the items is worth more, then it puts me off.

"Will shake your house down" drives me nuts. Click .. bye, not interested.

"No Low Balls" .... it's the art of the deal, you don't like the buyers offer, counter or ignore. I have personally known people who low balled an item and got it. Most recently guy was selling a lawn fountain for $700, friend offered $100 and the seller took it. I understand there are times were a buyer is just offering an insult with his low ball, I get that, but just ignore the offer. I can appreciate the seller not wanting his in box flooded with emails, but then ... that's just part of the price you pay when your trying to sell something.

All that said, and someone earlier mentioned that maybe we might be hurting someones feelings that may use the terms that make us cringe, what about the feelings of the buyer when .. after he buys the item, and it's borked! I have bought 2 sets of speakers, who's tweeters were blown. (this was not a problem for me just to say), but ... both sellers advertised "Works Great" and in the first case, the seller absolutely KNEW, the tweeters were fried. Didn't say a word.

I've about had a gut full of the term "MCM" applied to anything and everything. Have even seen early 80's stereo receivers described as such! :wtf:
I'm ready for the trend to subside.

I'v been seeing this one more and more with people selling record what the hell is....

Player Grade< WTF, I could only come up with a beater copy they don't even want or say G-. We buy records trying to find the best damn copy we can till we finally get to a sealed one to play.
From what I know about used records, there's Visual Grading and Play Grading. Visual is just giving the LP a look for scratches, which is useless unless you have magnifier vision. Play grading means it was actually played and listened to, to some degree, then graded per Goldmine standards.

I hate the term 'cans" to describe headphones. My Sennheiser's and Master and Dynamic's are high quality transducers not CANS!! Cans are what pork and beans come in!

Back
Top Bottom