Audio Community Phrases or Sayings that Make You Cringe.....

I am new here and pretty much to audio. But I think I may have already committed some of these sins.

Oops.

Folks,

Have any of you people considered the fact that a lot of these terms are used by people posting here and in effect you are slamming them in a proxy fashion ??

I know most of you are saying these things in jest and without malice. But I am sure a few folks here are grinding some axes if you get the drift.

Frannie

Come on its all in fun, I used a few of these just recently, and don't feel offended.

I think there are so many people from differing regions that are going to describe things differently and everyone's writing capabilities are different. This thread does nothing for the cohesion of the group when so many people feel they can hide behind their keyboard and write whatever they want irregardless of how it impacts others. Technical hobbies generally include quite a bit of jargon. Like in actual automotive enthusiast lingo of yesteryear someone that rebuilt cars from the ground up was a gearhead and if a car was flawless it was known to be in cherry condition. The time period that we are living in now actually has the least jargon due to the present monetary system that took over our social system via the big corporations. Then there is no garrentee how some people will conduct themselves....or respond to this worrying about which words to use. The need to be accepted socially causes people to choose how they do things and for the most part what they believe....

I'm the opposite. Give me any excuse to say "plinth" and i'm all over it.

Plinth. rolls off the tongue like pop rocks and soda.

The trouble with "plinth" is that it makes you sound like you have a lisp, if you say it out loud, just like the Valkyrie's answer to Thor in the famous joke.

Folks,

Have any of you people considered the fact that a lot of these terms are used by people posting here and in effect you are slamming them in a proxy fashion ??

I know most of you are saying these things in jest and without malice. But I am sure a few folks here are grinding some axes if you get the drift.

Frannie
Not me. I don't use those silly terms

Plinth
I don't know why I don't like the word. Maybe it just seems like a snobby way to say base.

No, "base" is just the redneck way of saying "plinth." :D

I'm the opposite. Give me any excuse to say "plinth" and i'm all over it.

Plinth. rolls off the tongue like pop rocks and soda.

The trouble with "plinth" is that it makes you sound like you have a lisp, if you say it out loud, just like the Valkyrie's answer to Thor in the famous joke.

Plinth. Pliiinth. Pliiiiiiinnnnnth.

Has a nice 'woody' sound to it. Not 'tinny' at all.

Yeah I hate the term "vinyls" too but "vinyl records" is just about as bad. Vinyl records as opposed to what-
"tin records", "glass records", "paper records"? Let's face it most records are vinyl. Why can't we just say "records"?
Because sometimes it is needed for context. We have a several file cabinets full of paper records and a database full of electronic records at work; not all records are musical recordings.

Back
Top Bottom