Audio components seen on Fringe, TV series

Being a fan of LOTR of was shocked to see the same guy from LOTR playing Walter. I wasn't sure what to expect, only that he played a pretty convincing nut case in the movie. How he stays in character so well is very cool, though it is up to the writers to be sure they don't wander off on some tangent. And his character Walternet is something else to be sure. Yeah, guess that makes me a bit of a fan, eh?

He's to the Fringe/X Files genre what Tim Curry is to the good vs evil/devil movie genre, (poorly put) but you know what I mean -- perfect for the part.

I was watching Batman ( The Chris Nolan one ) the other night and noticed when they are in the lab and using the cellphones to triangulate a signal, there are a pair of Carver Platinums on either side of the room! Niiiiice.

Jimmy

Yeah, that turntable is definitely a Philips GA212 or GA312 (the two were basically the same except the 312 had some very minor improvements).

Neither of the turntables shown in the montage is a Philips GA212/GA312.

The unit in the close-up, with hands, and dust cover is a GA212; but the dust cover is either not the original or has been modified (accidentally/intentionally) to exclude the cover lock-up (in the left hand corner).

. . Falcon

Tapco 6200B Stereo 6 Channel Mixer

Mixer looks very close to a 6 channel Stereo Tapco 6200B
hard to tell exactly from the pic

Turntable in Slow Motion

Watched a Fringe episode I had on DVR this week and paused and slow motioned the turntable. The sequence was basically a needle drop with a zoomed view of the turntable. The round push buttons reminded me of Phillips. The cartridge was clearly visible and had "Phillips 400" printed on it. The stylus assembly had Shure on first line and numbers on line below. I couldn't make out the numbers. The front of turntable had a partial view of a "badge". Surprisingly the badge was colored red but text/logo was not discernible.

Perhaps these clues will help our more knowledgeable members :dunno:

Roger

In the episode last week, it appeared that the woofer in one of the speakers was removed and a thick cable was going into the opening. Part of an experiment I guess.

Walter used my TT, a Philips GA312 (or GA212) last week (episode 3/10 "The Firefly" aired 1/21/2011).

They showed a closeup of the cartrigde, but I didn't catch the make.

Last edited:
Walter used my TT, a Philips GA312 (or GA212) last week (episode 3/10 "The Firefly" aired 1/21/2011).

They showed a closeup of the cartrigde, but I didn't catch the make.

I think this is the cart I saw. However, the stylus was a Shure. A quick search reveals indicates that Phillips GP400 and several variants were stock on Phillips turntables.

imagemagic.php

Roger

The unit in the close-up, with hands, and dust cover is a GA212; but the dust cover is either not the original or has been modified (accidentally/intentionally) to exclude the cover lock-up (in the left hand corner).

I've got a perfect GA212, and this comment completely baffles me. From the picture, the dust cover looks exactly like mine, and I'm not aware of any "cover lock-up".:scratch2:

I think they've got a few vintage TT's in the prop closet for that show. Not sure if they're all the same, or slightly different... but I wouldn't be surprised if some characteristics seem inconsistent, which would account for this.

I've got a perfect GA212, and this comment completely baffles me. From the picture, the dust cover looks exactly like mine, and I'm not aware of any "cover lock-up".:scratch2:

Neither am I.

I was basing my comment on a photo I saw here. . .

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/album_showpage.php?pic_id=2051

Maybe it was some type of add-on, or something. But, it looked like it belonged there to a person that doesn't actually own one.

Sorry for the goof.

. . Falcon

Last edited:
Neither am I.

I was basing my comment on a photo I saw here. . .

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/album_showpage.php?pic_id=2051

Maybe it was some type of add-on, or something. But, it looked like it belonged there to a person that doesn't actually own one.

Sorry for the goof.

. . Falcon
Very interestink ..., my both of my GA312's do NOT have the arm on the left of the cover. On mine, the cover hinges are "friction fit" so that when you move the cover past a certain point of closed, the cover slowly lower down without banging on the plenum. The hinge screws are adjustable to allow the correct amount of damping for this to happen.

Also, the front of my both of my GA312's are stamped "ELECTRONIC 312" not "312 ELECTRONIC".

Last edited:
Time for a fresh post with the show back in session.

Someone has to recognize the equipment this time around. Not only were the teaser shots longer but more of them. The receiver on the stack reminded me of Concept or Yamaha (simple silver, etc.). Speakers? Got me.

I remember seeing in older episodes a cheap looking "all in one" system, BSR TT or something like that...

Back
Top Bottom