Audio connectors!

catman

Addicted Member
G'day all, I can't believe that I keep falling for this, but I do!

I am only too aware of the importance of clean, tight audio connectors (yes I do use DEoxIT), yet I forget to check and clean the various connectors every few months and when I do like tonight, I can't believe the improvement on all program sources (phono, tuner, everything).

Yes this slow degradation 'happens', but why? Is it impossible to prevent, despite using DEoxit? :scratch2: Regards, Felix aka catman.

We often hear about Deoxit and Faderlube, but Markthefixer recommends a full regimen for various cleaning including Gold.
He says he doesn't always mention Gold because people are already spending bucks on the other two and Gold may be a bit too much to recommend all at once.

But here's an excerpt from his post in the Deoxit tutorial saying Gold would be for long term protection after Deoxit:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3693359&postcount=117
Markthefixer said:
EXCERPT:
Gold is for long term protection AFTER deoxiting successfully. deoxit cleans, but has minimal long term protection against additional corrosion. The gold coats the contacts slowing down subsequent corrosion.

I just don't mention the Gold as actively, because after shelling out for two cans (deoxit and faderlube) there was too much squawking about a third can...
Unfortunately, the three CAN'T be mixed in the same can, they would interfere with each others' action.

The degradation happens because of oxidation of the metals forming non-conductive metal oxides. Removing the units to an environment that contains no oxygen should slow this process. Where is that going to be?

This oxidation is what DeoxiT D is designed to remove. Gold plating was introduced to the audio world back in the day because it resists oxidation better than the other metals used for connectors.

Without chemicals to clean contacts, it is recommended to break and remake the connections in a system on a regular basis. This will help clean oxidation from the connection and improve the electrical transfer.

Hey Felix,
There are various preparations for reducing tarnish and oxidation for metal connectors, some touting an amazing improvement in the sound. I started using Deoxit Gold a couple of years ago and found that it does just as advertized, reduces oxidation on all metals and is a long term solution.
Good luck with your oxidation problems. If you live near salt water, cleaning and protection may become a constant maintenance item.

Of course, the BEST thing to do is to solder all the connections, and desolder/resolder as needed. However, not even I am anal enough to do that, but I did solder every possible connection on my car stereo, circa 1980. The result was good good sound. Further, it has not been lost on me that audio brands with a minimum of non-soldered connections hold up better in the long term than those that use a lot of wire-wrapped connections and the like.

Agree, you guys are REALLY losing A LOT of information by not soldering those connections. All those connectors from the wire to the plug then the next plug to the board is KILLING your audio signal. Seriously, try soldering and report back.

...audio brands with a minimum of non-soldered connections hold up better in the long term than those that use a lot of wire-wrapped connections and the like.

Correctly wire-wrapped connections were conclusively shown to be superior to soldered ones long ago, but it's often true that audio gear assembled with wire-wrap develops problems with its other (cheap) connection technologies.

Correctly wire-wrapped connections were conclusively shown to be superior to soldered ones long ago, but it's often true that audio gear assembled with wire-wrap develops problems with its other (cheap) connection technologies.
Wire wrap is used in aerospace, especially in satellites because it is more reliable in the long run. Solder has lower conductivity than the materials it joins and can grow 'whiskers' that cause shorts over the long term.

What about Silver? When it corrodes and it will, like just about everything else, at least the oxide is conductive. With that said..... +1 on the Gold

Back
Top Bottom