Audio Critic Archives.

Appreciate this link. And also enjoy Peter Aczel's approach to reviewing audio and discussing it. His approach is very refreshing. Even if we don't always agree with it. And he does enjoy sensible approaches and rational thinking.

Peter is such a decent guy. I've known about their archives for a while and printed each issue out and keep as reference. He's answered several questions for me through email. Not sure if he's still alive as it's been a couple years since I last communicated with him.

There was a good deal of tumult about Peter Aczel reviewing a component he had some involvement with, and with taking subscriptions for his first magazine even after it had gone under. Regardless of the merits of the cases, it seems to me that he became more combative afterwards, and much of his writing seemed to be more about other critics' alleged flaws than about the equipment. I had planned to subscribe to his first magazine because it seemed to be balanced and sensitive to things like price and practicality, but the later stuff seemed to me more about scoring points. He has plenty of useful things to say, but he is too pugnacious for my taste.

I know for a fact that Peter was not always 100% up front about what he said regarding other people and magazines. The original iteration of the audio critic was quite remarkable and a pleasure to read. The resurrected version seemed more a forum about retribution and character assassination than insightful audio criticism. Still, one of the more remarkable wordsmiths the industry has ever seen... he and Pearson.

Good listening.

Back
Top Bottom