"Audio" earplugs for concerts?

kethdredd

I've decided to attempt to arrest my hearing loss/tinnitus by purchasing a set of earplugs before I go see Maiden in June.

Does anyone have any recommendations in this area? I'd like to still hear everything at the concert while reducing the volume level.

There are concert type that attenuate about 20-25 db that you can search and easily find.

I mostly use the classic 3M "ear" plugs but they are disposable.

I like them because I can easily adjust them by not squeezing them as much before they expand and I can attenuate as much as I want to.

I took my 13 year old daughter to a Bring Me The Horizon concert.My left ear has a problem with low frequencies and from what I hear the volume and bass is over emphasised at these type of shows.Just some regular squeeze plug did wonders to survive that show.Because the volume and boomyness was bad.

Last edited:
I've decided to attempt to arrest my hearing loss/tinnitus by purchasing a set of earplugs before I go see Maiden in June.

Does anyone have any recommendations in this area? I'd like to still hear everything at the concert while reducing the volume level.

I think something like this is what you're looking for. I got my mom a pair to protect her ears with the church band and she said that they worked well. It says that it preserves the whole frequency range, just lowering the intensity.

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Protection-Earplugs-Standard/dp/B0044DEESS/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1492842101&sr=8-5&keywords=musicians+earplugs&th=1

415AThu03iL._SX522_.jpg

51yedYFBOtL._AC_UL115_.jpg

I used Hearous at the last Michael Stanley Resonator concert I was at ... it was loud. Could hear the music clearly ... disposable afterward.

Get disposables. the SQ is negligible in most venues anyways... horrible reflections only overcome by turning it up to 11 in far too many cases.

also, don't reuse them unless you've a very clean place to store them. Dirty plugs are bad for ears. Once in and done.

I also use Etymotic and like them. They're reusable, give you better sound than foam, and aren't expensive. You can buy them directly from the etymotic website.

When I went to see Deep Purple at Radio City Music Hall (peaks at 118 dB), I just used the same ear plugs I used at the gun range. The plugs weren't designed for "audiophile" applications, but they worked fine. Try Cabela's for similar items.

Get disposables. the SQ is negligible in most venues anyways... horrible reflections only overcome by turning it up to 11 in far too many cases.

also, don't reuse them unless you've a very clean place to store them. Dirty plugs are bad for ears. Once in and done.

You clean them with alcohol after use. Zero issues.

I had the Etymotic ones too. Unfortunately they fell apart after a couple uses and I had to get rid of them.

I wish there was something out there that only gave 10-15 db attentuation. That's what I want - just to take the edge off. 20-30 db is too much.

...then, one fine day, I decided I just wouldn't go to events where I'd have to put my hearing at risk. Problem solved.

I have a set of these, and they work quite well. Takes some adjustment in the ears, but they DO work. The old expandable foam versions do work pretty well too. I often use those when I visit noisy construction work sites. I also keep my dB meter handy just to check what the sound levels are like at both locations. I also TRY to get seats at concert venues that aren't right in the direct line of fire of the event speakers. Unless I'm taking photos, I sit back 10 to 12 rows back in the center...get a better view of the stage anyway.

I think something like this is what you're looking for. I got my mom a pair to protect her ears with the church band and she said that they worked well. It says that it preserves the whole frequency range, just lowering the intensity.

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Protection-Earplugs-Standard/dp/B0044DEESS/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1492842101&sr=8-5&keywords=musicians+earplugs&th=1

415AThu03iL._SX522_.jpg

your ears are important, get the best plugs you can afford, drop the volume 40db
you can still feel the bass rattling your ribcage.

save your ears for the last 4 decades - way too many folks lose their hearing from
natural causes let alone 120db Boeing 474 takeoffs or 40,000 watt amps at
a ear-bleeding concert.

Ear plugs....

I'm old as hell, have been going to concerts since I was twelve with my much older sis' but I've been smart enough to sit far enough away from the stage to prevent hearing loss. I've even been made fun of by my friends for sitting in the nose bleed seats with a pair of opera binos. As far as sound quality goes....I'll stick to the nose bleed seats because ear plugs have the opposite effect on the quality of sound....yah think !!!

That is funny though, spending good money for concert tickets only to be up close to the stage and use ear plugs. Fact is....I haven't had such a good laugh in a long time, EAR PLUGS AT A CONCERT.....what will people think of next ?

Ear plugs....

I'm old as hell, have been going to concerts since I was twelve with my much older sis' but I've been smart enough to sit far enough away from the stage to prevent hearing loss. I've even been made fun of by my friends for sitting in the nose bleed seats with a pair of opera binos. As far as sound quality goes....I'll stick to the nose bleed seats because ear plugs have the opposite effect on the quality of sound....yah think !!!

That is funny though, spending good money for concert tickets only to be up close to the stage and use ear plugs. Fact is....I haven't had such a good laugh in a long time, EAR PLUGS AT A CONCERT.....what will people think of next ?

You obviously never saw Rush from the nosebleed section at the Centrum...

I don't go to rock concerts anymore, but the last time I did attend was a Greenday show (American Idiot Tour) back in, I don't know, 2005 or 6 maybe. I wore the foam plugs you can get at any hardware store. Did a couple A/B tests while there. Wore them for a few minutes then took them out. Without them the volume was thunderous and sound quality was iffy at best. With them in it actually sounded better as well as much less loud.

Back
Top Bottom