Audio Fan's Cross Country Audio Adventure

I come back from a slight hiatus on AK to read a thread like this! Holy smokes, batman! In the 5 years I've been here I can't say I've ever heard of anything like this. Several extremely rare pieces all in one transaction, and not just rare, but really good stuff.

Very cool. Those WAMMs interest me a lot 'cause they used KEF bits. I've only read about them and what I read was astoundingly good so, I expect you're in for a ride. A shame about the EQ, I imagine that will get sorted though. I can't imagine Wilson isn't able to help in some way.

The other bits, such as the Nak gear, that's simply out of this world cool. I wonder what it's gonna sound like. Are you planning to run the system as it was originally put together, or are you gonna start mixing and matching with what you've got? Those amps you say need dedicated circuits so if it were me I'd probably just get 'em going with something else for the time being.

Very cool story AF, thank you for sharing, this is something I won't ever forget.

I plan to run the speakers with the amps for sure, but, the speakers will need a little bit of cosmetic restoration first which I will document in a separate thread in the speaker forum. I had initially created a thread there, but some unnecessary comments took away from the intention of the thread, so I had it deleted and will create a new one. The remainder of the components will come and go as I certainly want to hear some of my other favorite pieces in the mix. But it will take some time, I don't want to go thru the exercise of setting them up (not trivial) knowing I have to break them down again for restoration. They are BEASTS in every way, so once completed, the setup will be done and they will be ready for the long term.

Reading about these, that EQ isn't too special. It is a modified Crown EQ-2, a dual 11-band (frequency adjustable) eq with with individual channel bass and treble controls, also frequency adjustable. Since the modifications changed the eq from ±15dB to ±2dB, it seems this unit is needed to fine tune the WAMM in its particular location for the particular listening position. A Crown EQ can be obtained and possibly info for the mods but the use of it might need full understanding of how to set up the speakers and the equipment needed to do that. Wonder if we even need that fine of a tune-up for a speaker that should great.

We are both thinking same as I have already read the materials and pretty much came to the same conclusion, however, I plan on getting one of the original Crown EQ's to get a close as possible to the original configuration. It may not have the mods, but I think the amount to which that really matters is quite small, as you point out, we are talking about degrees of tuning. The default setup is outlined in the WAMM documentation on their site. I spoke to them yesterday, but will post that information to the speaker thread so as to have it all in one place.

Wait a minute, these are big woofer boxes and a stand with the KEF racetracks on it and a totem pole with the other drivers attached to the pole, other drivers easily moved, and maybe removed. Could be a convenient way to have the system hold all the parts while you work on different pieces. And those individual sections could be worked on and refinished and then placed back in the pole to allow them to dry...if you do the refinish in the same area. But I'm not going into how you are going to get this done, just mentioning what looks like a nice device to hold the refinish project as it happens...which is also the completed speaker system.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but some of the work needed will be much easier with them apart (turned on their sides, etc), so unfortunately, this is going to take some time. I don't want to rush it, besides, I have plenty to do with getting the room remodeled and wired anyway.

Since these pictures are available online, I thought I would include some other shots of the hangar interior for reference.

Below, on the upper level, you can see the spiral stairs to the left, then a kitchen area before getting to the living room with the speakers. You can just see the top of the subs and array. The second section of the railing from the right side is the one we had to remove to allow egress to that area.
Safari 5.jpg

The next picture shows the living room area and how the system was setup.
Safari 4.jpg

That's great...

That's what I call get up and go without compromise ! Like the old advertisement on television....."I'd walk a mile for a Camel (cigarette), you drove cross country for what was really worth it and got to see some scenery along the way.

Just read the entire thread and now I need a mop to clean up all the drool.

Wish I knew you were making your way through Nebraska, would have loved to have met up somewhere or had you stop by as I'm not too far off the Interstate.

Congrats on a fine haul and an audio story that is one for the AK record books. Can't wait to see/read about the outcome once all the pieces of the puzzle are firmly in place.

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but some of the work needed will be much easier with them apart (turned on their sides, etc), so unfortunately, this is going to take some time. I don't want to rush it, besides, I have plenty to do with getting the room remodeled and wired anyway.
Oh, I know. They are at your crib, I haven't seen em but I was thinking if I had to redo the Christmas ornaments on a tree, it would be easy to them hang on the tree when not being actively work on. And the tree would be out of the way, not hooked up. You have the gear and now the time to investigate and set up as your life allows time after the family time you need to pay back.

You can literally do the mic drop...... I don't know where else your collection could go from here???? Complete!!!

Great thread, congrats :)

You can literally do the mic drop...... I don't know where else your collection could go from here???? Complete!!!

Great thread, congrats :)
Agreed, but our ears are tricky things. Might get tired of such superb setup and end up coming back to a more simple and modest system. I can totally understand why the deceased husband of the seller had that crappy all in one rack system while the Krell/Wilson system just set there.

Anyways, this is definitely a find of the year candidate.:banana:

Here's a blurb from the Stereophile review of the Krell FPB 600, might give insight as to the speakers chosen by the original owner:

Driven to still greater extremes of analysis for sheer quality of bass extension, dynamic range, and stereo staging, I also took the FPB 600 to the nearest accessible pair of Wilson X-1/Grand SLAMM speakers—at UK importer Ricardo Franassovici's listening station at Wimbledon. After all that, I felt that honor had been satisfied!

Based on the gear, I believe the Krells replaced an earlier amp purchase that was made to drive the Wilsons. My guess. AF will let us know as much as he lets us know as we all hang on this story.

Given the Krells were made later, that is the only logical assumption. Unfortunately, the former owner that really purchased the gear is deceased, so we will never know the actual rationale for any of the purchases or what may or may not have been in the setup over the years. The wife, who I dealt with, really was not sure about any of the history. Not unlike most all situations like this for any other gear.

I logged in to denote that I returned the U-Haul and added 2,564 miles to it from end to end when I picked it up. :thumbsup:

I logged in to denote that I returned the U-Haul and added 2,564 miles to it from end to end when I picked it up. :thumbsup:

Well done! :rockon:
Some may not agree, but the driving part must've been fun as well. I would've enjoyed it as much as the new gear.

You've fulfilled a lot of AK'er's audio dreams. Well done...

I plan to run the speakers with the amps for sure, but, the speakers will need a little bit of cosmetic restoration first which I will document in a separate thread in the speaker forum.

If you need professional advice to clean these up you can call me. I have 37 year as a professional furniture finisher, restoration, custom furniture and architectural. All in homes that make that hanger look like subsidized housing.

I once did a 1000 mile round trip to pick up a pair of JBL4343's. Did the road trip with two mates, it was a great, fun, memorable trip, and have been enjoying the speakers for years since. Road trips for Audio gear is the best :)

[QUOTE="whyaskit, post: 10397580, member: 13532" but, I'd love to own t set of Watt/Puppy or Sophia's.[/QUOTE]

There's a set of Watt/Puppy 5's on my local CL. Only $2500. You buy 'em, and I'll pick them up and hold them for you...! And take your time, picking them up. No rush! :cool:

Watt/Puppy5

I plan to run the speakers with the amps for sure, but, the speakers will need a little bit of cosmetic restoration first which I will document in a separate thread in the speaker forum. I had initially created a thread there, but some unnecessary comments took away from the intention of the thread, so I had it deleted and will create a new one. The remainder of the components will come and go as I certainly want to hear some of my other favorite pieces in the mix. But it will take some time, I don't want to go thru the exercise of setting them up (not trivial) knowing I have to break them down again for restoration. They are BEASTS in every way, so once completed, the setup will be done and they will be ready for the long term.

Looking forward to detail shots of the WAMM, I've never seen one that old. From the HF array it looks like it has Braun L200s which would put it ~1983. There was another version which added an ADS L2030 tweeter too. They are a hell of a snag that's for sure. Can't wait to hear listening impressions.

[QUOTE="whyaskit, post: 10397580, member: 13532" but, I'd love to own t set of Watt/Puppy or Sophia's.

There's a set of Watt/Puppy 5's on my local CL. Only $2500. You buy 'em, and I'll pick them up and hold them for you...! And take your time, picking them up. No rush! :cool:

Watt/Puppy5[/QUOTE]

I looked at the ad - they're fixer-uppers.

Back
Top Bottom