Audio Ideas Guide

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just wondered if their were any other fans of Andrew Marshall's Audio Ideas Guide on AK. Basically a one man endeavor, AIG was around from the late 80's into the early 2000's. Published quarterly, it was always an interesting read, even if his tastes and mine were wildly different. Still have a stack of back issues lying around.

I used to buy it occasionally - tossed most of them but may still have a few around somewhere.

I don't remember agreeing with their reviews all the time and recall them as superficial and light on the detail more times than not - a little technical detail, few lines on sound and a couple glossy pics - more like advertising than reviews.

I might be getting this wrong and should see if I can find some old issues to confirm but that's how I remember it anyway. Much preferred the other Canadian audio mag from that time HiFi Sound that turned into Ultra-High Fidelity.

I used to buy it when I saw it on the newstand. The AIG is how I learned of the Ringmat mat. I have used a version ever since. I learned of items I did not find in other magazines. I liked it and Art Dudley's "Listener" magazine.

I used to buy it occasionally - tossed most of them but may still have a few around somewhere.

I don't remember agreeing with their reviews all the time and recall them as superficial and light on the detail more times than not - a little technical detail, few lines on sound and a couple glossy pics - more like advertising than reviews.

I might be getting this wrong and should see if I can find some old issues to confirm but that's how I remember it anyway. Much preferred the other Canadian audio mag from that time HiFi Sound that turned into Ultra-High Fidelity.

It kind of fell in between the Stereo Review/High Fidelity/Audio types, and the high end books. Oddly, he actually listened to the equipment. His editorial policy was pretty straightforward - he only published reviews from companies that supported his mag by advertising in it. And he didn't write reviews of crap equipment. But he was totally aboveboard and open about what he was doing. Love him or hate him, you at least know where you stand.
He would also do some interesting technical pieces. He did a couple of interesting wire/Cable reviews that were a combination of listening and technical. Lots of good interviews with Canadian audio manufacturers.

His reviews are not available through his website:

http://www.audio-ideas.com

It kind of fell in between the Stereo Review/High Fidelity/Audio types, and the high end books.

Yeah, that's how I remember it and probably why I was lukewarm on it - couldn't stand Stereo Review or High Fidelity but enjoyed the likes of early Absolute Sound and (especially) Listener, and AIG was not in the same league as Listener.

I used to subscribe and have one of their test CDs around here someplace. Upon reflection it really didn't float my boat.

Subscribed to the magazine until its final print and had a test CD as well.
Went to the site for the first time in years today and there doesn't seem to be much happening since 2013.

Back
Top Bottom