Audio Karma Glossary

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by d-ray657, Oct 9, 2009.

1. mech986

mech986 Text ↓ optional Posts:>18,000 Subscriber

Hemi, not sure how your post fits into a glossary thread unless you're posting your unit as an example of FUBAR.

You'll probably have better luck posting your question as a new thread in the Sansui forum.

Bill Ferris likes this.
  2. amely

amely New Member

This post is really helpful to all newbies.

3. zeffer1940

zeffer1940 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I want to know a real definition for sibliance as in phono cartridge accuracy.. or harshness??

4. arts

arts Super Member

Due to some recent confusion regarding one of my posts during this thread,beginning at # 45:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/empire-royal-grenadier-9000m-speakers.464709/page-3

I would like to add the following term to the AK Glossary: BSA ( BULL S**T ARTIST )

BSA: This term generally applies to sellers and/or flippers who engage in extremely ''flowery'',long winded prose to describe whatever piece of crap they are selling.

See also: exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, embroidery, embellishment, excess, overkill,rhetoric,hyperbole

Thanks,

Art

5. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Well-Known Member

6. BigElCat

BigElCat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'll go you one better.

This is sibilance; when Margot sings "Sweet"...it's the s-s-s-s. It's on the vinyl, the CD, and all digital forms. Magnificent recording.

It's only on the 'S' sound. It can be really annoying if it happens a lot.

Maybe it happens on 'pfft' sounds.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibilant

(I love that song. The entire album was recorded straight through. I'm not sure how many 'takes' they had to do, but they wound up with a single 'take' that is nothing short of fabulous.)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  7. Jetaway

Jetaway New Member

How about &^^%)%!! to describe any piece of audio equipment that you realize, thanks to your stupidity or inattention, possibly both, have comprehensively and utterly fried.

LMAO

Chris

Bill Ferris likes this.
  8. Bill Ferris

Bill Ferris Well-Known Member

Yes Jetaway. as a tech of over 40 years I`ve seen quite a few needlessly damaged pieces of great gear thoughtlessly powered up slam dunked after sitting un powered for decades & of course usually ruining at least the power transformer + , when the caps say bye, bye !!
    Often with oversized fuses installed to fix the initial fuse failure !!
    Kind regards , OKB