Audio Magic Stealth

MikE

Color Me Gone
Ok, my buddie finally talked me into trading PLC's, my Shunyata Hydra for one of his Audio Magic Stealth's. He has two and just got another for his basement system so it seemed like as good a time as any to swap. Wait till you see pictures of my little baby IHS, talk about abuse!

So in exchange for my Hydra I received his white, four outlet Stealth and a Shunyata Cobra power cord. This is one of their original series pcs and it is one great power cord. I told Dan that I would just plug the Cobra into one of my extra power supplies and use my 15amp Shunyata Sidewinder on the Stealth initially seeing that the Hydra uses a twist-lok Sidewinder, this would make for a more accurate evaluation. And with either the Cobra or Sidewinder IMS I wouldn't be completely Shunyataless.

In the picture your find the Stealth on the granite platform with a brick on top, to keep the very light weight device from tipping due to the strain of the bulky pcs. On top of the brick is the outboard power supply with the Cobra attacted. Let me say that the Audio Magic component is not the least bit impressive visually. It looks cheap! And next to the 35lb Hydra whimpy indeed. I was already writing the thing off before I hooked it up.

Well, thank goodness I gave it a chance...wow, this thing is flatout killer. Very different than the Hydra but I was immediately diggin' it and forgot all about my PLC. Clean, clear and neutral are how I would describe it. Whereas the Hydra is more robust and romantic. The Stealth reminds me of the 45 output tube, and the Hydra the 2a3. The lowered noise floor of the Stealth is a real strenght. Combined with my EML 45 tubes, this PLC made me giggle and kept my butt firmly planted in the sweet spot. Except on two occations I walked into the bedroom and told Dana, "this sucker is goooood". She said, "Uh, hah".

This is only my initial impressions on a new product, therefore do not hold me to any of the comments made, I'm sure I'll wake up tomarrow and recant everything. Sweet dreams...

MikE

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom