Audio Note AN KSPe - Any thoughts?

Bigerik

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
ANyone familar with the Audio Note KSPe? These were just mentioned to me today as some really great small room speakers. With all the placement issues I have, these could be the ticket.
Thoughts much appreciated!

Weird looking. Not "modern" at all:

an-k_02.jpg

Erik,

Those were modeled after the original Snell Acoustics Type K, which is a good sounding small monitor. They don't dig very deep, probably dropping off around 60 to 70 Hz or so, but what they do above that is very nice. They are fairly efficient, also. I'd love to hear a set of the ANs.

Grumpy has a set of Audio Notes, but I'm unsure of the model.

Ken

Erik,

Those were modeled after the original Snell Acoustics Type K, which is a good sounding small monitor. They don't dig very deep, probably dropping off around 60 to 70 Hz or so, but what they do above that is very nice. They are fairly efficient, also.

Grumpy has a set of Audio Notes, but I'm unsure of the model.

Ken

Yeah, I heard they were based on old Snells. REAL Snells, designed by the old man himself, before he dropped dead on the factory floor and Kevin Voecks came in and screwed up the company.
My small, weird listening room is causing me all kinds of greif with speakers and placement. Been told these are the bees knees in situations like this.
Gotta give them a listen.

I have original Snell K's and have listened to the AN K and the AN Kspe quite a few times.

I while ago I compared to my Snell K's, the AN K's and B&W 805N's.

To my ears, both the K's sounded a lot better than the 805N's andthe AN K's sounding better than my Snells.

Both of the K's seem to be able to handle a variety of placements.

David

I've heard the J's, E's, AZ ones, AX twos, and there is a 'family' voice. I like it, a lot.

If the Almarro's hadn't come my way, I would have gotten a pair of AX's from Glenn at Audio Two.

Big AN speaker fan here. Heard most of AN's line up but the K's. Wish I could offer you some insight. Sorry.

Been reading up on them and what I have found sound very interesting. A number of people have chosen them as an upgrade the the Reference 3A MM de Capo i's, which is my all time fav "bookshelf" speaker. Gotta be pretty darn impressive to be working in that league.
Thanks for all the impressions, guys. Very much appreciated.

In our last talk about tube friendly speakers that might work in your room I forgot to mention AN – bad oversight on my part.

I’ve never heard the smaller KSPe but have heard the larger J and E several times including some pretty extensive experience with the E in a system you are pretty familiar with. :)

attachment.php

Not sure if you remember this thread but I built Grump’s E’s and they spent some time in my system (even with the CJ-MV75) so I had the opportunity to sample them in very familiar surroundings. I posted some thoughts in that thread and never had them here long enough to hear them properly broken in but initial findings; good stuff and based on that pair or the ones I’ve since heard in small tricky rooms, might be just what you are looking for.

Now they didn’t work with 2A3s but where very nice with the CJ or 300B (my favorite on them) and although they won’t displace the Altecs (not a chance) I really liked them as did others who heard them here and who’s opinions I trust. Just my opinion but I’d search out a pair of E’s to listen to, bring along Michelle for final approval and then we can talk – maybe a shared DIY project where you pick veneer species, finish, etc. and maybe do all the crappy work like finishing? :)

Bill
Very nice job on the AN-E's but what caught my eye are the stands.
Do you have any side/rear photos of the stands?
Have you compared the sound of the AN-E's on these stands vrs the heavy AN stands?
David

Those stands where just MDF copies of the AN stands and they where made too tall - I just flipped them on their side to get the height closer to where it should be.

Those stands where just MDF copies of the AN stands and they where made too tall - I just flipped them on their side to get the height closer to where it should be.

I guess at that height, they would make good stands for AN-J's or Snell J's.

I like the edge on the top and bottom plates. How did you do it? Table saw then sand?

More I read about them, the more I like them. Found a stereo store in the area that carries both them and the Reference 3A's. Gonna try to have a listen. Will report back.

AN-KSPe's and Ref 3a's. Now THERE'S a shootout I'd like to hear. I've heard each of them, but not on the same day, or the same system.

AN-KSPe's and Ref 3a's. Now THERE'S a shootout I'd like to hear. I've heard each of them, but not on the same day, or the same system.

You got that right, Ernie. Looking forward to hearing them. LOVE the Reference 3A's. Can't wait to hear the AN's.
Come on up and have a listen. Only 4 hours drive or so. :)

I have fond memories of Snell speakers from back in the '70s.

On the other hand, I just haven't cared for the Audio Note speakers I've heard. (They seem to have a lot of coloration IMO.)

I've heard some of the modern Snell models and thought they were quite good.

:scratch2:

Audio Note coming to KarmaFest

I'll be bringing a full AN system, at least, to the KarmaFest, which will have a pair of E's, and now having seen this, I think I'll add a pair of K's to the mix. They don't get shown nearly as much as much as they should.

I'm really looking forward to the show!

Back
Top Bottom