Audio Research Tuner???

imposter

I've seen that same gear before at a pawnshop, I remember reading on the back that this Audio Research gear was made in Canada.

I don't think that this "Audio Research" is the same as ARC (Audio Research Corporation). This Audio Research, as was pointed out already, is a Canadian brand, I believe.

I can't quite place it, but it looks like a rebadged japanese tuner -- a Sansui or Nikko? Might be good, but its clearly not the Audio Research everyone drools over.

This is the Canadian company product and not associated with ARC. I've seen a few of these plus the matching amp at local flea markets and Cash Converters. Usually quite cheap - quality does not look like much so I've never even thought about buying a set.

I actually saw a similar one this morning at a local pawn, and it seemed unimpressive. I presume the front panel must have been repainted at some point, because I had to look at the back side to determine what brand it was. They wanted about $30 for it.... (I wouldn't have given them $10).

It almost looks a wee bit like the mid 70's Kenwood tuners to my eye.....

If I'm not mistaken, this was a house brand of one of the larger chains in Canada back in the day. If I'm right, the other comments are correct: it's low-end stuff.

Actually should we not be buying all of these up to recognize the Canadian contribution to the audio industry since we can't all afford Magnum Dynalabs. MAybe we could drive the price up and sell them offshore to the American market. No flames please, I'm actually from Boston, simply married a Canadian and doing penance.

Brian said:
Actually should we not be buying all of these up to recognize the Canadian contribution to the audio industry since we can't all afford Magnum Dynalabs. MAybe we could drive the price up and sell them offshore to the American market. No flames please, I'm actually from Boston, simply married a Canadian and doing penance.

Ha! As if they ARE made in Canada. V-e-r-y little of what is sold in our stores is made here, sadly. But that's another thread. :)

This tuner sold for USD$244.50. And this is typical from what I've seen over the last three years. Someone must love them.

Wow! Somebody really got sucker punched. These usually go for about CDN$60 - 75 at Cash Converters and it is usually a place the is overpriced.

I've seen the "real" Audio Research tuner once. It was just a modified Dyna FM-3 with an extra-tall new face plate on it.

But I had no idea that any other manyfacturer ever used essentially the same brand name. And I always thought that it could occasionally be confusing making the disntion between AR, ARC, and Esoteric Audio Research!

I wonder if they ever got sued by ARC for stealing their trademark...

May have been an issue with the trademark registrations. Audio Research in Canada may never have registered in the US or vice versa. Hence each company may have had the right in their own country but not in the corresponding country. I've checked my '75 and
76 and not reference to the Canco in the US journals. I don't know if during this period ARC marketed in Canada but I know that when I sold my D76a pair a McIntosh dealer bought them for more than the going US retail price for a pair in mint condition and almost followed me home to make sure I would return with them.

Back
Top Bottom