Audio Research VT100 Mk III

You are quite correct about the 6550's being a very suitable valve and as far as ARC's preference for the KT120's you are also spot on. Yep, they both produce some heat but I think the 6550's produced a little more than the KT120's.
Just curious, how much are they asking for that pair near you? You're the second person that has told me the vm220's were made in limited quantities...somewhere around a thousand is what I heard but that wasn't from ARC. Lotta glass is right, 4 octets of KT120's and 2 octets of 6N1P's, somewhere around $1,100 for a retube give or take.

View attachment 1049556

The D400mkII in the middle is used when I can't justify running the AC to cool the tubes and trannys in the summer. :D

They were originally listed for 4k5 for a couple of months,this ad presently marked sold as of November 1st, and have now been relisted by a different seller for 5k as of November 8th. New ''staged'' photos & talky BSA (see the AK Glossary,post#124,in General Audio Discussion for this definition) seller.Exact same part of town,and certain visual tell-tales lead me to believe these are the same amps.Probably a flipper.They do look in nice shape,but the getters are looking tired (outputs are either 6550's or KT88's),and the filter caps are originals.

As for the quantity produced,I really don't remember where I got the information,but my memory says closer to a couple of hundred pairs.

Last edited:
They were originally listed for 4k5 for a couple of months,this ad presently marked sold as of November 1st, and have now been relisted by a different seller for 5k as of November 8th. New ''staged'' photos & talky BSA (see the AK Glossary,post#124,in General Audio Discussion for this definition) seller.Exact same part of town,and certain visual tell-tales lead me to believe these are the same amps.Probably a flipper.They do look in nice shape,but the getters are looking tired (outputs are either 6550's or KT88's),and the filter caps are originals.

As for the quantity produced,I really don't remember where I got the information,but my memory says closer to a couple of hundred pairs.

BSA...:rflmao:
Yeah sometimes the indicators are soooo obvious you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure it out. Tired getters and original filter caps...ummm maybe $3.5k, no more.

Couple hundred pairs?! I heard they weren't assembled until an order was placed by a dealer. Now I'm really curious, maybe I can get ARC to divulge a number if I ask.

Sounds like theoman has a real nice combination coming together, would like to hear his thoughts on the LS17. I use an sp15 with my vm220s but had entertained the thought of an LS27.

I'll be getting the LS-17 Preamp on Monday

Did you get it? The PH5 got good reviews,and should pair really well with the LS-17.You've got the makings of a really killer system there Theo.Talk about a nice retirement package!

Tired getters and original filter caps...ummm maybe $3.5k, no more.

Oooh,now dropped to 4k5....

We may all have ''modern'' ARC amps,but I'm still truckin' along with my old SP3A-1 preamp. You guys are too fancy for me:D

Although there is a PH7 on offer locally that I've been eyeballing......

I tried it out one my Linn LP12 with a Linn MM it sounded good but to loud and bright. I switched it to my VPI with a Sumiko Blue point and it sounded sweet for a cheap cartridge. I bought a Blackbird with a broken cantilever and sent it to soudsmith so I'm waiting on that.

But!!!!! I did play the Beatles white Lp today and I dont think its ever going to get better than that.I haven't listen to that Lp in years. When I got to Rocky Raccoon. well huh heaven!

I tried it out one my Linn LP12 with a Linn MM it sounded good but to loud and bright. I switched it to my VPI with a Sumiko Blue point and it sounded sweet for a cheap cartridge. I bought a Blackbird with a broken cantilever and sent it to soudsmith so I'm waiting on that.

But!!!!! I did play the Beatles white Lp today and I dont think its ever going to get better than that.I haven't listen to that Lp in years. When I got to Rocky Raccoon. well huh heaven!

So,it's been almost a week now.Whaddya think?:)

Yeah Theo, whats the verdict?

I'm concerned about the tubes I know the rectifier tubes are new but not the output. one of the AK'ers said ARC are notorious for running the crap you of tubes and all three versions used 6505's.
The original owner said the Mark III came with K120's. If I don't know the age of the tubes should it replace them? everything I've read says them came with 6550's.

From AK'er: All three versions used 6550 output tubes. The best option is to order a matched quad from ARC. If not, I would recommend Sovtek tubes as they are rugged and hold up well. ARC is notorious for running the crap out of tubes in their various designs. While you're in it, you might as well install fresh 6H30 input tubes.

All versions of the VT100 / VT200 / VTM200 and VM220 (monoblocks) all came with 6550c output tubes from ARC. That said replacing the 6550s with KT120s and setting the bias at the same mV ARC recommends for the 6550 tubes you won't be running the crap out of them so therefore you should get good mileage (2,000+ hours) out of the KT120s. As previously posted by me, I contacted ARC repair and asked about bias setting going from 6550 to KT120 tubes for my vm220s and they told me it would be the same mV as for the 6550 tubes. Check and set the bias (which I believe you've already done) and enjoy. If you wish to get an octet of KT120 tubes from ARC you're gonna pay for them to test, match, classify, catalog or what ever else they do. Otherwise there are other respectable tube sellers (tctubes, no affl) with much more respectable prices and will also match and test for microphonics. Either tube will work, I have a pref for the KT120s and as for Sovtek tubes they may be rugged and all but I replaced the (3) 6922s in my SP15 phono stage with 1966 amperex bugle boys from Heerleen, Hol and it was a huge sound improvement with better RFI rejection. Although Tung-sol, Sovtek and Electro harmonix are all owned by New Sensor they don't all sound the same.

My suggestion; wire it up, fire it up and enjoy it. Plan on another set of output tubes in the near future but don't let it stop you from listening to it now. This unit was produced from 2001 to 2006 and the KT120 started production somewhere around 2010-2011. If this amp were one of ARC's 1970 thru 1990 models I would agree with the whole running the crap out of their tube designs statement.

Last edited:
Well it's been eight day pretty much enjoying the AR Amp and the solid state is collecting dust. Why didn't buy I good tube Amp sooner. Even better why did I waste my time on a cheap phono stage.
the Audio Research PH5 is to die for! Today I rushed home and I'm 4 hours into supertramp. I placed Supertramp's Lp "famous lsat words" and the song "don't leave me now" starts with a pounding keyboard the rips into a sax "WOW"
IMG_8105.JPG

Well it's been eight day pretty much enjoying the AR Amp and the solid state is collecting dust. Why didn't buy I good tube Amp sooner. Even better why did I waste my time on a cheap phono stage.
the Audio Research PH5 is to die for! Today I rushed home and I'm 4 hours into supertramp. I placed Supertramp's Lp "famous lsat words" and the song "don't leave me now" starts with a pounding keyboard the rips into a sax "WOW"
View attachment 1054689

Okay, he's hooked. :naughty:
Hope you have a ton of enjoyment with your new toys from Minnesota. :D

Last edited:
I think this the first time in ten years upgrading. that I feel hole. And I'm not bullshitting here. I'm not looking to change anything! I have the best Tube PreAmp, Tube Phono PreAmp and this my new God VT-100. I walk in to the room and its like the "little shop of horors"
Feed me Feed me Leroy! I have to go to bed........Just one more song......HUMMMMMM. Supertramp "Asylum" that will do!

Last edited:
So not knowing how how old the tube are I should replace them? Has anyone compared the sound of KT120 vs 6550's

If everything sounds good, and they bias well....I would leave them alone, there is a never ending path to upgrade...

Back
Top Bottom