Audio Skipping From PC to System

Trekmaster

Analog man living in a digital world!
Hello, So I know there was a known issue with Itunes audio skipping that was supposedly corrected in a recent update. However It has started again so I tried some of my flac files on foobar and am getting random skipping on there as well. So after googling this issue I see there are references out there to a possible windows issue with all sorts of "fixes" that either do or don't work regarding priority during playback of whatever device is doing it. I'm concerned that when playing at high volumes which I sometimes do that the 1 or 2 sec drop and subsequent increase in volume is bad for my speakers. So I'm considering a switch to a music server. Specifically the KDLINKS HD720 on amazon. It has got great reviews and will play just about anything you throw at it. And for 252.00 you get the server and a 3tb drive. Has anyone had the skipping issues or used any of these media servers? :scratch2:

Thanks,

botrytis

From looking at your office rig and then the word "Bliss" I'd say the little Nano going through your associated gear has got you happy?

Hello, So I know there was a known issue with Itunes audio skipping that was supposedly corrected in a recent update. However It has started again so I tried some of my flac files on foobar and am getting random skipping on there as well. So after googling this issue I see there are references out there to a possible windows issue with all sorts of "fixes" that either do or don't work regarding priority during playback of whatever device is doing it. I'm concerned that when playing at high volumes which I sometimes do that the 1 or 2 sec drop and subsequent increase in volume is bad for my speakers. So I'm considering a switch to a music server. Specifically the KDLINKS HD720 on amazon. It has got great reviews and will play just about anything you throw at it. And for 252.00 you get the server and a 3tb drive. Has anyone had the skipping issues or used any of these media servers? :scratch2:

Thanks,

Nor necessarily on point, but I had skipping - more like momentary dropouts or signal loss - that occurred on Windows with Foodbar or J River. The PC - an Acer 5000 series. Not bad, but certainly a bit of a "budget" model. I will also say that moving to Linux from Windows on this PC eliminated the issue.

Well, on a PC - iTunes is known crap - bloated piece of software.

Try Foobar2000 for a free piece of software and you won't have those issues.

I have tried Foobar2000 and I'm still getting random skipping. I have a pretty decent Dell with 8gig ram ect. I've been thinking about a media server for quite some time as I want to have a dedicated music server away from all the issues a PC can have. Was just wondering if there was anybody out there currently using one that might have any input.

Thanks,

Nor necessarily on point, but I had skipping - more like momentary dropouts or signal loss - that occurred on Windows with Foodbar or J River. The PC - an Acer 5000 series. Not bad, but certainly a bit of a "budget" model. I will also say that moving to Linux from Windows on this PC eliminated the issue.

Yeah that is another option is to build a dedicated PC for just music. That KDLINKS HD720 media server for 159.00 less hard drive seems to be a nice piece of equipment!

I was having the same issue on my win8.1 pc running foobar2000. I was able to adjust the buffer settings and have not had a problem since.

Since. I have been leaving my computer on it has been much better now. But is the buffer setting for foobar or Windows?

Since. I have been leaving my computer on it has been much better now. But is the buffer setting for foobar or Windows?

foobar in :preferences/advanced" I am using wasapi and that has a buffer setting that is defaulted at 0. After bumping that I have had no problem with dropouts.

Attachments

• foobar wasapi settings.jpg
    foobar wasapi settings.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 19
I've tried just about every trick I can find on the web and I still have skipping issues while surfing or doing anything on the computer when playing music whether it be Itunes or Foobar. Is anyone using a media server? I'm thinking about either making a dedicated pc for my music or a stand alone MS.

Thanks for any suggestions:scratch2:

I would try different cables if you haven't already done that. If your files are on an external drive, I would move a couple to your computer's drive and test them as well.

I currently am running from USB to a dac to receiver. I tried a different cable from line out to reciever with the same skipping issue. It's something that is obviously interrupting the data transfer but I can't seem to find the fix for it. I recently had to restore my pc due to a bad iTunes update but it was doing it before that as well.

I currently am running from USB to a dac to receiver. I tried a different cable from line out to reciever with the same skipping issue. It's something that is obviously interrupting the data transfer but I can't seem to find the fix for it. I recently had to restore my pc due to a bad iTunes update but it was doing it before that as well.
Does your computer have any other outputs (analog, optical, coax)? I would try one of those outputs to be sure the issue was the computer. It could be a driver issue or some sort of USB connection issue.

Some PCs have a headphone input, you could try that instead to eliminate all of the other possible issues.

I had all sorts of weirdness with skips, noise, etc ... OS is W8, using WASAPI.

Problem was competition for resources. My USB wireless keyboard and mouse were the culprits. Solution was to add a USB expansion card that created it's own dedicated channel and is powered directly from the power supply, bypassing the system bus. Only the DAC and ADC are hooked to that.

Dead quiet now, and nary a skip. Set you back maybe $20 if you've got a slot available.

PS ... I also tried tweaking jRiver's buffer, but no luck. It's now back at the default settings.

I only have the USB and line out from the sound card. I've been messing with this for months and in searching the Web I'm not alone with this issue. But have had no luck with finding the underlying issue. That's why I'm exploring switching to a media server.

Ok there is some new info I'll look into them thanks. Nice to know I'm not the only one who has this issue it's driving me nuts.

I only have the USB and line out from the sound card. I've been messing with this for months and in searching the Web I'm not alone with this issue. But have had no luck with finding the underlying issue. That's why I'm exploring switching to a media server.

Can you run the line out to the amp to test it? As mentioned above, it could be a USB related issue.

I have already tried that with no luck. I'm going to check out the article on the core usage today and maybe see about the dedicated USB these are new solutions I have not tried yet but will when I get home.

Last edited:
Best practice in troubleshooting is to take your system to ground zero (detach all peripheral gear) and try a local file output to the Dell's speakers. Skips? If so then this is a resource issue. Use Task Mgr. to find a possible culprit.

No skips at ground zero--> then start adding in your other gear/cables one at a time and test. This will narrow the search and focus.

The other suggestion for the dedicated USB card sounds promissing...the quest for non skipping music continues:scratch2:.

What you're looking for is a card that has a direct connection to the power supply as well ... your's may vary, but here's what mine looks like ... upper right corner uses one of the standard power taps.

S457-1250-a1.JPG

And speaking of dedicated servers, I found out you can put a mini ITX board in an old ATX case using the original attachment points. Whooda thunk??

htpc-gigabyte-001.jpg

That's the motherboard hiding under the fan ... <G>

Granted, it looks pretty lonely in there ... but no worries about adequate airflow!

One BIG advantage is noise ... the old setup needed six fans cranking away for cooling. With the 60w APU, I get away with just the chip cooler and the fan on the power supply, and those are "smart" and just barely tick over on idle ... You have to hold your ear right up to the case to hear it at all.

PS ... the add on card was NOT installed in this pic ... took that just after the build, and didn't realize I had a need for it till I fired it up. You can see my ONE slot to the left of the fan.

Back
Top Bottom