Audio Skipping From PC to System

Best practice in troubleshooting is to take your system to ground zero (detach all peripheral gear) and try a local file output to the Dell's speakers. Skips? If so then this is a resource issue. Use Task Mgr. to find a possible culprit.

No skips at ground zero--> then start adding in your other gear/cables one at a time and test. This will narrow the search and focus.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out! I have taken it down to the basics wasn't aware of the speaker in the dell I mean I know the PC can make sounds but I never went that far to test if it skipped with just that. I'm about 80% sure already that it's a resource issue. When I surf while listening it skips more frequently if I'm lucky and i'm just laying back listening I might go all night without a skip.

I stared at the resource monitor for about 5 hours the other night trying to figure out what was taking up so much resources but I'm not that good of a detective. When it skipped I would look to it and yeah sure enough huge spikes in everything. I'm hoping the USB card will take care of it if not it's back to square one. The quest continues and I will listen to the windows sounds to see if it skips with nothing hooked up to it. :yes:

It can be frustrating for sure, especially when someone tells you they have a 250GB library of FLACS and MP3s playing 24/7 on a Pentium 4 PC running Win7 with 1GB of RAM.
It's got JRiver controlled remotely by TeamViewer, MonkeyMote, WebGizmo (all available simultaneously) and it never skips, even if I'm downloading, uploading, crossloading to portables, etc.
Wish I could tell you the magic formula...

What you're looking for is a card that has a direct connection to the power supply as well ... your's may vary, but here's what mine looks like ... upper right corner uses one of the standard power taps.

S457-1250-a1.JPG

And speaking of dedicated servers, I found out you can put a mini ITX board in an old ATX case using the original attachment points. Whooda thunk??

htpc-gigabyte-001.jpg

That's the motherboard hiding under the fan ... <G>

Granted, it looks pretty lonely in there ... but no worries about adequate airflow!

One BIG advantage is noise ... the old setup needed six fans cranking away for cooling. With the 60w APU, I get away with just the chip cooler and the fan on the power supply, and those are "smart" and just barely tick over on idle ... You have to hold your ear right up to the case to hear it at all.

PS ... the add on card was NOT installed in this pic ... took that just after the build, and didn't realize I had a need for it till I fired it up. You can see my ONE slot to the left of the fan.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out! The card I bought said it had a separate 4 pin connector to draw directly from the power supply. I like your set up! If I can't get this Dell to stop with the skipping I'm thinking of either building a dedicated PC server or just get a medea server. The board will be here tomorrow so fingers crossed that it does the trick.

I've been surfing the net for answers for this for months and there are others out there having the same issue so at least I'm not alone and there is no clear winner to fix it there are some things to tweak this or that with not much success. I mean all I'm doing here is playing an audio file it's not rocket science, or is it? The quest continues...:scratch2:

It can be frustrating for sure, especially when someone tells you they have a 250GB library of FLACS and MP3s playing 24/7 on a Pentium 4 PC running Win7 with 1GB of RAM.
It's got JRiver controlled remotely by TeamViewer, MonkeyMote, WebGizmo (all available simultaneously) and it never skips, even if I'm downloading, uploading, crossloading to portables, etc.
Wish I could tell you the magic formula...

I hear ya brother! I could just play CD's and spin vinyl but I have some really nice sounding digital files! With AKers willing to help me I'm gonna get to the bottom of this :banana:

Thanks for taking the time to help me out! I have taken it down to the basics wasn't aware of the speaker in the dell I mean I know the PC can make sounds but I never went that far to test if it skipped with just that. I'm about 80% sure already that it's a resource issue. When I surf while listening it skips more frequently if I'm lucky and i'm just laying back listening I might go all night without a skip.

I stared at the resource monitor for about 5 hours the other night trying to figure out what was taking up so much resources but I'm not that good of a detective. When it skipped I would look to it and yeah sure enough huge spikes in everything. I'm hoping the USB card will take care of it if not it's back to square one. The quest continues and I will listen to the windows sounds to see if it skips with nothing hooked up to it. :yes:
For some reason I was thinking laptop with my instructions. As for your tower, I actually meant using the line out as suggested earlier.

Give this Process Monitor tool a try. It's enhanced trace and logging make sleuthing out offensive apps and/or misbehaving device drivers much easier.

Two likely candidates are bloated and overzealous anti-virus applications and browser extensions. Flash based scripts with a wonky plugin can bring even the most robust system to it's knees.

For some reason I was thinking laptop with my instructions. As for your tower, I actually meant using the line out as suggested earlier.

Give this Process Monitor tool a try. It's enhanced trace and logging make sleuthing out offensive apps and/or misbehaving device drivers much easier.

Two likely candidates are bloated and overzealous anti-virus applications and browser extensions. Flash based scripts with a wonky plugin can bring even the most robust system to it's knees.

Ok I was watching the resource monitor so the process monitor is where I should be looking good to know. If the USB card that is coming today does not pan out I will dig deeper into my system to see what the hell is going on. Thanks for the input!

Well I always have to learn the hard way it's just in my nature. The USB card I bought has a 4 pin power supply connector which I found my computer doesn't have. And even if it did there is not enough cable on the extra power supply connectors to reach the back of that little board. So will have to actually research to get the right one...the saga continues :dammit:

If you've got a local computer shop, they should be able to set you up with an adapter cable or splitter for most anything.

Sure your power supply doesn't have one dangling in the mess? Usually at least a couple on any ATX type supply. Problem arises when you get a "big box" computer that's stripped down to do nothing but what the mfg wants. That's where the splitter cable can come in handy - kind of a two for one deal.

I took a pretty good look and there are two extra plugs the same type as what plug into the hard drive. But they would never reach the back of the computer. I should take it in and have it done right. Like I said before it's in my nature just like the mandatory 4 trips to the hardware store to do any mundane task haha!

Well had the computer guys give the ole PC a tune up and lo and behold Norton was running more than one process at a time on my machine which was causing all my issues. Dumped Norton and put in AVG and wa-la no more skipping problems! All hardware checked out ok so we now return to my regularly scheduled programming of total music bliss.

Thanks for all the suggestions I learned a lot from the computer people now I know what to look for when things start to go south. :music: :smoke:

Its sort of amazing to me: some of these antivirus programs try to cure the disease by killing the patient. Norton and McAfee have given my Windoze PC's nothing but fits.

AVG however is a nice, user-friendly piece of software that does its job and stays out of the way.

Its sort of amazing to me: some of these antivirus programs try to cure the disease by killing the patient. Norton and McAfee have given my Windoze PC's nothing but fits.

AVG however is a nice, user-friendly piece of software that does its job and stays out of the way.

Until it, too, has a problem

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/12/02/avg_auto_immune_update/

I don't know of any antivirus product which runs locally on a computer that doesn't rely on file signatures to do all or much of its job. I'm currently using the Microsoft product, since it's free and I hope that it won't recognize a system DLL as malicious.

But signature-based a/v was effectively dead in the professional security community a long time ago - we all still have to use it, because it has some value some of the time, but we also all know that a moderately serious attacker will never be slowed down by it, and that the gangs who write worms and viruses are usually at the minimum days ahead of signatures and often months.

I was at a presentation some years ago where the folks presenting had screen captures of Russian-language chat boards which had maps of IP address space and ranges identified as containing early warning systems operated by the major a/v vendors.

The security vendors seed "honeypots" into residential address space deliberately to get the systems infected so that they have samples of malicious code to analyze. The virus vendors seed old, uninteresting viruses tweaked just enough to elude detection.

They keep track of which vendor recognizes which virus variant and when, correlate it with the seeding effort, and map the early warning systems.

The good, new stuff doesn't go to networks that are likely to be able to analyze it.

I used my PC as a media center for a bit, but I picked up a Western Digital TV Live unit and never looked back. I paid about 100 bucks for it, and last week I finally found something it couldn't do - I threw a 384 FLAC file at it, and it tried to play it but made not a sound - which was fine, as I was mostly interested in how the file sounded on the main system and don't have anything I actually listen to in high res format.

Shortly after the WD unit landed, I realized how badly I needed to be able to back up my systems at the house in a more professional way, and bought a NAS. The first one I had was very noisy, the current one is very quiet, but it means I no longer need a PC running in order to watch or listen - and if I'm working and need to reboot, I'm not also going to have to wait until it's back up to keep watching and listening.

So, even if you get to a point with the PC where it's reliably streaming for you, I still recommend having a NAS around for backup, wiring everything with gig ethernet - if it means crawling under the house, so be it - and using the NAS as a repository both for actual work (you can probably deduct the cost of putting it in and the cost of cabling as home office expenses) and for a central spot for music to land.

Yeah I'm still looking good for something to play my music away from the computer. I've been leaning get towards. The KDLINKS HD720. It has pretty good reviews. How do you run the NAS is there a app based interface or do you access it through the computer?

Yeah I'm still looking good for something to play my music away from the computer. I've been leaning get towards. The KDLINKS HD720. It has pretty good reviews. How do you run the NAS is there a app based interface or do you access it through the computer?

I'm using a synology, and mostly do the actual work on it either via ssh or a web interface - the web interface is very, very nice on it.

There are apps for file browsing and for music browsing.

when I'm not doing actual work on it - changing what time jobs run, checking backups - I can use a UPnP app on one of the tablets to throw music from it to the WD box or the DVD player or the Fire Tv - all three of those devices are seen as "renderers" and the NAS itself as a "library" by the UPnP app.

Android seems to have better UPnP apps than Apple does, but the OS supports being an itunes server as well. I don't use it for that and don't know how well it works.

The other way to work from it is to use the player to browse the files stored on it. the DVD player and WD player work with it as part of their base operating system. On the FireTV I have installed Kodi, which is a very pretty media library app. I picked up the FTV so that I would be able to have my library, Netflix and Amazon video and music all available from a single system. I like the FTV quite a bit, but there are a lot of good players out there.

both Kodi and the WD box have very, very wide file format support. There are Android set top boxes out there and by now I'm sure there are some that are faster, but since Amazon is selling theirs at a loss, for 100 bucks you get a nicely done system which you can load apps onto, has support for wireless or wired networking, optical and HDMI out.

There is a USB port. I use the USB port for an outboard keyboard and am not sure if media files can be read from it. I think that at launch, they could not, but a recent software update may have enabled that.

Before I buy a device, I am interested in finding the active user community to trade information with. the Fire family of devices have robust support both at Amazon and in the developer community at a site called XDA. The WD TV family of boxes have a pretty good community at Western Digital and also a developer community at b-rad.cc - that is, there is a complete alternate firmware available for some of the WDTV systems. I get the impression that the Roku streamers are similarly well-supported.

I don't know what the kdlinks community is like or how active it is.

I have also been struggling with this issue a bit, primarily on my media center (Zotac Zbox running Win 7 pro) for my main system. I use Foobar2000 and WASAPI for playback and there is absolutely no reason for any sort of bottleneck based on the end-to-end specs of the playback chain.

I have found that it seems to perform better when I am playing files off of the small SSD that is inside of the media center but there should be no reason for that - the file server is, for home use purposes, very high end (FreeBSD w/ 2 ZFS raidz2 pools totaling ~65TB usable after parity and overhead). All devices are hard-wired gigabit connected to an enterprise class managed switch, the file server has Intel NICs, both zpools are capable of saturating gbit many many times over, etc.

The Zbox is more than powerful enough, rarely rising over 50% CPU usage playing back even high bitrate 24/192 FLAC (5-6mbps avg) material. I have a Schiit Bifrost connected via optical to the Zbox, HDMI to the television, a powered USB hub hidden behind the TV that has the USB dongle for the Logitech wireless keyboard/touchpad plugged into it, and the network cable - not a whole lot going on.

This problem has always really bothered me, I should not get little clicky glitchy sounds while switching between tracks, I should not get stuttering playing back high bitrate content - there is really no reason for any of that based on the hardware employed.

I am going to look into disconnecting things and seeing if I can narrow down the problem that way, but there really isn't much to disconnect. Also, due to the form factor of the media center it really isn't possible for me to install a discrete USB controller card. I am also going to look into the possibility that it is the AV software I use, Eset NOD32, but that is supposed to be one of the fastest performing AV suites that there is.

All of this has gotten rather annoying and frustrating, it's good to see that I am apparently not the only one experiencing this...

Last edited:
I hear ya I surfed the net for months trying to solve it and it became clear that it was out of my knowledge base. But you are correct there are lots of people that are having the same issues.

I have found that it seems to perform better when I am playing files off of the small SSD that is inside of the media center but there should be no reason for that

SSD read speeds are pretty astonishing. I haven't seen gig NICs or teamed gig NICs able to match them.

Even given a fabulous back-end, which you have, it sounds like something I'd approach by looking at whether I could force on-device caching of files, out into the several megabyte range worth of overkill.

In Kodi on my system, the advancedsettings.xml file can tweak a lot of things, including forcing the system to always cache locally.

the file server is, for home use purposes, very high end (FreeBSD w/ 2 ZFS raidz2 pools totaling ~65TB usable after parity and overhead).

There's a thread over in the cutting edge about how you define high end. I think that in general, one person's high end is many people's "completely insane." And I mean that in a good way, believe me.

What's the power requirement on a 65T array - how many spindles are you running for that much storage?

I know precious little about ZFS but googling around a bit, I'm seeing discussions indicating that write performance is fantastic, read performance can get dragged down at times.

I haven't benched read/write on the synology in a bit, but it's not so good that I don't do some tuning to make sure Kodi has a big chunk of data buffered before playback starts.

I do need to get under the hood and look around soon, though - the nightly backup is now taking 2+ hours, up from about a half hour to 45 minutes a few months ago.

SSD read speeds are pretty astonishing. I haven't seen gig NICs or teamed gig NICs able to match them.

Even given a fabulous back-end, which you have, it sounds like something I'd approach by looking at whether I could force on-device caching of files, out into the several megabyte range worth of overkill.

In Kodi on my system, the advancedsettings.xml file can tweak a lot of things, including forcing the system to always cache locally.

Yeah, certainly the read speed on an SSD is higher than gbit ethernet, but ultimately we are talking about a 24/192 FLAC source that has an avg bitrate of 5-6mbps - a tiny fraction of the 1gbps network connection.

The WASAPI plugin for Foobar does have a buffer length adjustment, though for some reason I am not able to set it very high, I always get some sort of 'insufficient memory' error when I try to bump it up over the default. I am not at home so I don't have the exact wording but it is something along those lines. Maybe someone can provide more info on this setting for the Foobar WASAPI plugin?

I also have Kodi on the media center for video playback, I may have to give it a try for audio playback to see if it exhibits the same problems. I just prefer the simple interface that Foobar has, and it also supports more audio formats than Kodi (like DSD).

There's a thread over in the cutting edge about how you define high end. I think that in general, one person's high end is many people's "completely insane." And I mean that in a good way, believe me.

What's the power requirement on a 65T array - how many spindles are you running for that much storage?

I know precious little about ZFS but googling around a bit, I'm seeing discussions indicating that write performance is fantastic, read performance can get dragged down at times.

I haven't benched read/write on the synology in a bit, but it's not so good that I don't do some tuning to make sure Kodi has a big chunk of data buffered before playback starts.

I do need to get under the hood and look around soon, though - the nightly backup is now taking 2+ hours, up from about a half hour to 45 minutes a few months ago.

At idle the storage box consumes ~350-400W (it spikes at startup but I haven't checked what it requires during that time). It is a 4U 24-bay Super Micro chassis with redundant 1200W PSUs, 8x3TB WD Red 1st generations in one raidz2 pool, and 16x4TB WD Red Pros in another raidz2 pool. They are connected to an HP SAS expander which is dual linked to an LSI HBA.

As far as performance, the 16 drive zpool can sustain ~1200MB/s seq read and ~900MB/s seq write. In production it is less than that because both arrays are encrypted with geli, the processor (Intel Xeon) has AES-NI but it still isn't fast enough to decrypt at the speed the drives are capable of.

As for backups... well I can't afford to back this up to another location... :tears:

I have a dedicated PC for this and still have some issues.
It's running windows 8.1 I've done a ton of tweaks, and
turned off the power saving features. This was causing
the system to idle cores and throttle down speed, and
my pc has some windows security processes that fire off
every couple of minutes. These use a ton of resources
and causes hiccups. I still have the issue, but it rarely
results in audable hiccups now. My old pc was much slower and
less resources, , but under XP didn't seem to have the same issues.

I am playing with using a Raspberry Pi 2 running Runeaudio.
It came with a 2.5 amp power supply and a wireless card.
I hooked up a USB DAC and a USB hard drive.
After some teaks it runs just as good as feeding it wih a PC.
And you then just can control it with your PC or a tablet.

Thanks for the info! I need to start researching as the music eventually needs to come off the main PC she's been running good since the tune up but I know that is just a short term fix. I need to re-rip the collection "AGAIN" haha to Flac. That should take the rest of the year then I'm gonna get serious :yes:

Back
Top Bottom