Audio System and genres of Music

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by highend64, May 15, 2018 at 9:11 PM.

1. Aptone

Aptone AK Subscriber Subscriber

I pick my speakers based on genre. The ADS 910s have great bass, so they are way better for reggae and a lot of rock. But sometimes I feel the need for the sweet Magnepan sound for less bass heavy music.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. highend64

highend64 Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the responses. There are alot of very interesting opinions which is all about. My system does sound good with every genre but maybe I only like like certain genre because of certain"sound" Im looking for.

3. savatage1973

savatage1973 Addicted Member

Not to disparaage or promote any specific type/brand of speaker or other components, but certain things are better suited to specific types/genres of music. My Infinity Kappa 9's and Maggie 3.6R's have fairly similar frequency response ranges, but the perception of bass from a planar resonating the room vs 4 12" conventional cone woofers hitting you in the chest with a wall of sound is dramatically different.

Complete and total "accuracy" is not all it is cracked up to be. Not all recordings are created equal. Sometimes there is stuff in the recording that you don't want to hear. I listen to a lot of late 60's and 70's live rock--the energy of the artist/performance is there, but the recording quality is frequently lacking (think standing in the audience with your phone and posting to YouTube). These types of recordings sound far better on my notoriously "less than accurate" JBL L100's, but for a well-recorded classical piece, the Maggies win hands down.

Condorsat likes this.
  4. Audiotfoot

Audiotfoot AK Subscriber Subscriber

Love the radio. Brings back memories of coming home from grade school and sitting in the kitchen doing homework and listening to the Lone Ranger, Sgt. Preston of the RMCP, etc.
    My Califone was rescued from a dumpster behind the school district office. They tossed two, but being generous, I let the janitor have the other one.

5. heyraz

heyraz AK Subscriber Subscriber

Some music sounds better on a car radio so I built this IMG_20140921_215757794.jpg

6. sKiZo

sKiZo Hates received: 8641 Subscriber

Some music sounds better on a car radio, so I'm building this ... <G>

[​IMG]

darkblue94 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.