Audio System Enhancer

JoeESP9

ESL's & tubes since 83
A couple of weeks ago there was a thread about the "Black Discus - Audio Enhancer". As usual for devices of this type there was a lot of derision and name calling about the devices. The usual term of snake oil was loudly trumpeted.

I went to the company web site and found they were offering free samples for the asking. Seeing as how I'm a sucker for anything free I requested a free sample. Well, my two free samples arrived in today's mail. In the next couple of weeks I'll be conducting my usual informal LTLT (long term listening test). I'm not interested in nor have any desire to do any blind or double blind testing. That's not how I listen to music. I believe that testing of this type should be done in the same way I actually listen to music.

I'll be reporting about my results good bad or indifferent in a couple of weeks. If you object to my testing methodology there is a simple solution. Go to the company web site, request a sample and conduct your own testing in any way you see fit. I have posted a link below.

http://www.madscientist-audio.com/

All of you who don't believe in tweaks like this here is your chance to actually test something for yourself at no cost. So, if you don't believe in this sort of thing here is your opportunity to debunk the manufacturer. If you're not willing to try something that's free you really shouldn't have much to say about the results someone else may post.

I hope that some other curious open minded individuals will try them so we can compare notes.

This should be interesting, failing that, comical... love the way the website blabbers on without saying anything of substance. Will be interested in your thoughts...

From the site

"Normally we find it easiest to hear the effects on complex music, especially with vocals."

Just how are vocals 'Complex Music'?

Beats me. I have mine languishing in an Altoids can at the moment. The fact sheet that came with them suggests storing them in a metal container prior to use.

I saw that. They also said when not in use, they also need to be inside metal because they may cause an effect across the room.

What did they send you? Size-shape-qty?

I give them some credit for THIS statement (though I ask if the concept is somewhat flawed as there must be a problem with the cable if it is affected by the discus through the dielectric AND the ground shield).

A free try however, is a good thing.

" They use good old physics and engineering (hey, Einstein published papers on relativity more than 100 years ago, and quantum mechanics is getting on to be almost 100 as well!). Not that BlackDiscus uses Quantum Mechanics. It doesn't (not in this universe at least). Which means it is in the minority, as most tweaks seem to claim quantum something-or-other in their priciples of operation.."

It looks like a Reese's Cup:

amptermbds.jpg

Personally, I think a couple of beers (or other indulgences) is likely to improve the sound more than these things.

I saw that. They also said when not in use, they also need to be inside metal because they may cause an effect across the room.

What did they send you? Size-shape-qty?

They sent two. They are roughly the size of slightly smaller slightly thinner Reese Cups. The fact sheet says the regular ones are thicker.

The ones in the picture are not the free ones.

Scott1019:
Yes. They shipped them from New Zealand for free.

For all the smart asses; instead of all the snide remarks why not get a couple for yourself and actually try them. Frankly I really don't expect to hear much of a difference if any.

Any manufacturer that's willing to send me something for free to try I give the courtesy of at least giving them a try.

mqdefault.jpg

I'm gonna get a couple and put them on my Carver C9 ...

<BIFF!>
(owwwwwww)

Thanx ... I needed that ... :D

Having an open mind is all I'm advocating. You'll never know unless you try for yourself. And then, free is a very good price.

Having an open mind is all I'm advocating. You'll never know unless you try for yourself. And then, free is a very good price.

Open Mindedness is not a strong point of many here. They would rather Nay Say as opposed to actually trying something.

I just asked for a sample as well. While I generally don't believe in this type of product I will never say they don't work until I have first hand knowledge. This should be interesting.

cubdog

Back
Top Bottom