Audio System For Audiophile Over Age 60, What Would You Buy Or Consider Buying?

chaskelljr63

Hello All:

Well, I'm not new here. I have been a member of Audiokarma.org for a better part of two years now, and more importantly, I am a seasoned audiophile for more than 35 years.

Now, as I am on the outskirts of 53 Years Old, and on the frontier of my 54th Birthday in two months, I am now beginning to think about getting an audio system of which I hope to be enjoying in what would be my golden years, as I would like to continue rocking and grooving well into my 60's and beyond that.

Now, as I take stock of what I have now, I am now beginning to decide what I would like to get starting in a couple years time.

And as I now approach the later half of my 50's, I now am starting to look at the following. I am going to want:

(01). A Speaker System that's going to offer me more in the way of refinement. If I move to a larger dwelling (like a larger room for example), I'm probably going to look at a stand mounted three-way speaker system with high quality drivers and crossover components, and furniture like cabinetry. Or otherwise, if I end up moving to a smaller dwelling, then I am going to look at a high quality active speaker system. And in either case, high quality headphones are mandatory.

(02). If I end up getting a passive speaker system, then instead of getting a separate preamplifier and power amplifier like I have now, I'm more than likely going to look at a high quality integrated amplifier that has ample inputs and outputs to connect the very few pieces I am likely to incorporate into my system at the time I am likely to purchase. For digital sources, a 24/192 DAC is more than adaquate, but a 24/384 DAC would be preferable. And it must have more than enough power to satisfyingly drive my chosen speakers to more than satisfying levels. Otherwise, if I end up going with active speakers instead, then I am likely to go for a preamplifier with a similar feature set, but without power amplification circuitry.

(03). Other sources are going to be, a music player/streamer, a CD/SACD Transport/Spinner (maybe), and a high quality turntable with a high quality phono cartridge. I feel I have a high quality phono stage in my current system now in the PS Audio GCPH. So, unless something I like better comes along, I going to be making plans to retain that (the PS Audio GCPH that is).

So then, if I were to go shopping today, my system (for age 60 and over) would look like this:

For a larger listening area:

Speaker System: Vandersteen 2Ce Signature II (in Polished Cherry/Rosewood) -- $2,560.00

Integrated Amplifier/DAC: Cambridge Audio AZUR 851A (Dual-Mono Configuration; 120 Watts Per Channel @ 8 Ohms/200 Watts Per Channel @ 4 Ohms; XLR Balanced Inputs (x2); and 24/384 DAC) -- $1,850.00

Network Music Player/Streamer: Cambridge Audio AZUR 851N (with 2 Digital Inputs; 1 Digital Output; XLR Balanced Outputs (x1)) -- $1,800.00

Phono Preamplifier: PS Audio GCPH (MM/MC Capability; Stereo/Mono Capability; Phase In/Out Capability; XLR Balanced Outputs (x1)) -- Retained From Current System

Turntable/Tone Arm: VPI Scout Jr. -- $1,600.00

Phono Cartridge: Sumiko Blackbird -- $1,250.00

NAS Server: Synology (2 3TB Drives) -- $1,000.00 -/+ (depending on configuration)

Headphones: Sennheiser HD-650 -- Retained From Current System

Tablet: Apple iPad Mini 4 (Cellular + Wi-Fi; 128GB) -- $630.00

TOTAL PRICE: $10,690.00 Plus XLR/Balanced Cables and Bi-Wired Speaker Cables.

For a smaller listening area:

Active Speaker System: Focal Alpha 80 (2-Way Stand Mounted Studio Monitor with 8" Woofer and 1" Tweeter; 140 Watts Total Power Each Speaker; Frequency Response is 35Hz. to 22kHz.-- -/+3dB; RCA and XLR Balanced Inputs) -- ($550.00 each) -- $1,100.00 Pair

Speaker Stands: Pangea LS300 Speaker Stands -- 140.00 Pair

Preamplifier: Cambridge Audio AZUR 851E (Dual-Mono Configuration; RCA and XLR Balanced Inputs and Outputs) -- $1,850.00

Network Music Player/Streamer: Cambridge Audio AZUR 851N (with 2 Digital Inputs; 1 Digital Output; XLR Balanced Outputs (x1)) -- $1,800.00

Phono Preamplifier: PS Audio GCPH (MM/MC Capability; Stereo/Mono Capability; Phase In/Out Capability; XLR Balanced Outputs (x1)) -- Retained From Current System

Turntable/Tone Arm: VPI Scout Jr. -- $1,600.00

Phono Cartridge: Sumiko Blackbird -- $1,250.00

NAS Server: Synology (2 3TB Drives) -- $1,000.00 -/+ (depending on configuration)

Headphones: Sennheiser HD-650 -- Retained From Current System

Tablet: Apple iPad Mini 4 (Cellular + Wi-Fi; 128GB) -- $630.00

TOTAL PRICE: $9,370.00 Plus Balanced/XLR Cables.

Now, if you're building what appears to be your final audio system right now, if you've been an audiophile almost all your life, and you have finally reached age 60 or over, how would you go about it, what would you buy or consider buying, and how would you build it?

I'm curious to know how your tastes run and what your rig would look like when you finally reach age?

Thanks and Regards (In Advance)...

--Charles--

. . . Now, if you're building what appears to be your final audio system right now, if you've been an audiophile almost all your life, and you have finally reached age 60 or over, how would you go about it, what would you buy or consider buying, and how would you build it?
You know, I think I have the answer already, but since I won't turn 60 for another two and a half years, I'll wait til then to give any details.

You're describing at least half of us here, the question is what do you want? Since you are in DC, talk to Heather James and go listen to her system. In barter town there is a pair of JBL L166's great for your music. I, at 65 years young, just bought L200T3's, let the music play!

I'll be there next month. :)

As for me, my main system has continually evolved over the years. My priorities for transparency and coherency haven't changed since I purchased my first full range stats in '77.

I'm in my later sixties. Again not unusual AK demographic. Your budget is north of mine.
IMO, if you want components to stay current longer, separate amp and DAC functions. Seems the DACs are evolving quickly. I have a Rogue Sphinx hybrid integrated, 100 wpc@8 ohms, 200wpc@4 ohms. And use Modi multibit dac. A friend bought a new Mac integrated/dac. I wonder about its value ten years away compared to an analog integrated.
Heaviest speakers I have are 45 #'s. Did not plan it for old age, how turned out. That's enough weight on back and carrying on stairs. I stack like speakers for more bass. You likely are best judge of which speakers signatures you like. Not going to push mine.
I've never had active speaker systems. Don't understand the advantage.

Last edited:
For the past ten years or so, I have been doing exactly what you contemplate, building a system based on a set of more refined speakers, at about your budget. IMO, nothing beats a good pair of electrostatic speakers for refinement. They scare many folks away, probably for good reasons, but my stats (Quad ESLs) remain the best buying decision I've made. If you go for a PK-restored pair, the amount of money needed goes up, but the amount of good luck needed goes way down. ;) Mine are original, but fabulously well-preserved - I was lucky.

There are reasons for every piece in my system, and with the exception of my turntables, everything listed in my signature was picked for a hoped-for improvement over a piece that was already very fine indeed, and all have delivered.

If you don't mind me critiquing your choices...

I can't help but feel that replacing Adcom with Cambridge is going with more-of-the-same, rather than refinement. There also seems to be a fair amount of redundancy there. For quite a while, I ran a new Luxman L-505u integrated amplifier, and to be honest, it was very difficult to beat, and has not been improved upon by a great deal. But, the Fosgate bests its phono section, and the TVC bests its preamp section, and the PrimaLuna bests its power amp section. But If I had to go back to the Luxman, I'd be fine with the result. I tried an Adcom GFA-535, and was not terribly impressed. By reputation, I wouldn't prefer Cambridge either. I think you can do better with regard to amplification, and if tube fussiness and reliability concerns you, the PrimaLuna has solved that for me. Otherwise, I'd recommend class A solid state, or a really excellent A/B implementation, like the Luxman. I want a sweet top end with no excess tizz, and I have one.

I've never heard your Oppo, but I will say the my Marantz SACD player is my favorite digital piece, and sounds much closer to my vinyl than any of its predecessors. I just wish I could use its DAC separately, but it was introduced about a year too early for that benefit to be included.

Lastly, I'd consider trying a London Decca cartridge. My Super Gold has simply beaten my others, and goes to a level not previously heard, by me at least. By reputation the Blackbird is certainly worthy, however.

Good luck on your journey of refinement!

:music:

I turned 60 recently.
I'm pretty happy with current system.
Probably the best thing I could do would involve room changes rather than gear changes.

It does seem as though those monster receivers and BIG speakers I already have are a lot heavier now days...

In a nutshell ... a decent Vinyl and Subscription streaming rig.

Reduce my record collection down to what I would need for the Dharma Initiative vinyl library (LOST TV series).

Survivors of a plane crash on a deserted island ... but there were abandoned facilities that had power, record player and Vinyl library.

Just the essential vinyl needed for retirement years.

Like a Geronimo Jackson LP.

th

Game over.

Last edited:
I'm a bit under 60 and my budget comfort zone is a bit less, but if I were building a system from scratch at this moment with new or new-ish components, I'd lean toward:

VPI Nomad
Marantz CD6005
Rogue Sphinx Integrated
Nola Contender 2
And of course a computer of some sort, probably just a laptop with a digital output that could be run into the Marantz

There are definitely a few other products I'd want to hear and, budget permitting, could easily go upscale with each piece but I think this would be a solid system that will still be viable 10 years from now. First component I'd expect to upgrade would be the cartridge.

I would grab an LRS rack of gear, a PD-441 some great tonearm and a great cartridge, MC-30 Super sounds excellent, keep my RTR machines and maybe find a nice pair of newer speakers. Someone else is paying for this right? The LRS gear would get a rebuild, replacing all the DML ICs and such. Guess I'd need to learn about digital other than a CDP to pick something.

Now if new was needed, the LRS would get the boot for something Lux or Accuphase, need to hear them. Probably need a couple pair of speakers, great planars, stats or something and another pair to rock out. Your 120 watts on the Vandersteens, don't know if that is enough, or too much. My brother had 2Ces and a McCormack DNA-1, 185 wpc and if it got loud enough the speakers were overdriven.

So many choices.

Sorry , i couldn't resist:D
I just picked up and restored a Mac1900 for my brother as a retirement gift. I'll have to see what he wants to do :idea::lurk:

I'd say for me a decent sounding preamp and power amp, good overall speakers recapped, a phono/arm combo that would hold up for 20+ years and 3-4 phono carts just in case. Digital sources probably from a laptop. I have most of this now. recapped Crown PSA2, DB Systems preamp, macBook Pro aluminum (soon to be replaced), Fons CQ30 table with SME 3009 type 2 w/detachable shells, Stantons 861ee, 681eee, 680a, and Grace F9e w/Soundsmith stylus. Speakers are either JBL 4311'a, JBL 4312's or KEF 104aB's recapped last year. Also have a Crown D75 and some Koss Pro 4aa's for quiet time.

I'm 65, although I'm not sure how age has much to do with the choice of audio equipment. Maybe, when you're older, you have more money than when you were a college student on a budget? My advice would be to buy whatever makes you happy. Of course, consider any future plans for moving.

I may be moving overseas again in six months or so. And if I do, I guess my stereo equipment goes into storage. So for now, I probably won't buy much in the way of new equipment. Or if I did, it would be something I could fit in a suitcase.

I'm 66. What I'm planning for as I head for my 70's and 80's. Dependable equipment. I've already lost some of my hearing of high notes so anything over 14Mhz is a waste. No vinyl. Large hard drive full of music. Remote controls. No speakers over 30 lbs. Keep backup equipment to a minimum.

Maybe I'd look for better if I was as rich as some of the previous posters. But even so I feel I'm being more realistic.

Approaching 25 and also approaching an "end game" system.

Technics SL1200/Jelco 750d/dl103r
Rogue 99 magnum
Tubelab SE 300B amp (in the works)
Tekton Lore

Might play around with other speaker designs to see what I enjoy. I could easily live with this setup through retirement.

No such thing as an "endgame" in this hobby; although I would be happy with my current gear for the rest of my life, I have made the occasional upgrade (I swore my last turntable would be my last, but I got my VPI Scout 2 a couple of years back).

You enjoy your system while you have it and upgrade when opportunity affords!

Good Luck & Happy Listening!
DeeCee

I'd say...

Well defined and stimulating because the older we get, the more we stay at home. So, not too overly detailed but with great soundstage and separation.

Back
Top Bottom